[Seems to be resolved] Syntakt frozen at startup screen on cold start

Apparently crashes after a factory reset and entering test mode are something that is a known firmware issue and it will be resolved in a future update.

2 Likes

Interesting as I have not heard of anyone complaining of that yet on this forum or in any facebook forum for syntakt, but if that is what they said then that is good :slight_smile: I would still try to re-install 1.01 firmware to see if it helps or not. Can’t hurt it, but either way it could be a long wait before next update too since they just put 1.01 out last week, good luck!

1 Like

I’m waiting for a shipping label at this point. Hopefully Elektron can learn something from my unit and make some improvements.

1 Like

In the meantime I reflashed the firmware. I will give one last try tomorrow.

1 Like

Cor love that noise it’s like a jet engine starting up glad you recorded it for sampling possibilities - which, good news, you don’t need a Syntakt for!

I didn’t have to wait until tomorrow. It still freezes on bootup after it has ben off for a while. About an 30 minutes to an hour in this case.

1 Like

I actually had this issue! I don’t remember if I put it in the bugs thread, I may have put that in my own thread because it came up when I was troubleshooting some OB issues. I definitely emailed support about the crashes after factory reset and test mode specifically though.

Sorry it still isn’t working :frowning:

OB is another can of worms. I don’t know how USB support is implemented but the Digi boxes can be locked up way too easy if you dare to turn them on while plugged in via USB.

Hi,

Do you still have the same issue with your Syntakt?

I’ve had the exact same thing happen to my Syntakt. It crashed, gave me an error to restart. So I turned it on and off again. Then the taking off siren sound happens and it would reboot after that.

I’ve contacted Elektron, followed their instructions copied below by factory resetting. So far so good and my unit works again boots and hasn’t crashed again (been running it to test for about an hour)

One thing I have noticed is that the digital voices take about 10 to 20 seconds to make sound at startup. The patterns play and you can hear the analog voices immediately, but then the digital tracks seem to wake up a little later.

Elektrons advice is not to switch the unit on and off too fast.

I’m still undecided whether to return it for testing…

Copying Elektrons advice below in case others have this issue or can confirm similar start up behaviour.

Cheers

I’m very sorry to hear about the issue.

If you power off (using the built-in power switch) and let the unit rest for 20-60 seconds before attempting to power on again, does it then boot correctly? There are large capacitors inside Syntakt that will need this time to discharge after a crash or rapid restart. Attempting to power on before this discharge has been completed, the discharge will restart. This means that flipping the switch in panic, it can easily look like a hardware issue since the discharge never completes.

If the unit still won’t boot after letting it rest powered off for up to a minute, please perform a factory reset.

Unquote

I did go through that a few times and it did not solve my issue. I ended up returning it.

They said they reflashed the unit and they are sending it back.

I did that myself two times and it helped nothing.

The catch with my issue is that it usually doesn’t happen when the device was running for a while.

There is a high risk that a technician thinks they solved the issue while they didn’t.

At this point I am more sceptical than not about the effectiveness of the reflashing - more so because there was only about 3.5 hours between me getting an email that they are looking at it and another with a tracking number.

There was no test done to see if the device would actually turn on the next day - which was my original issue and 9 out of 10 times I would experience the boot-up issue.

Hopefully I am wrong and it will work but I can’t shake the feeling that I get it back, I turn it on and it will have the same issue.

Mine doesn’t. Soon as it boots up it’s playable.

Interesting. My unit also had the delay on the digital tracks. Not on the analog tracks though.

Did you send your unit in for repair/service?

Mine seems ok now apart from the delay hearing digital voices after start up.

Elektron advised the following…

It is expected that it will take a few seconds for the digital tracks to load. You will see a small spinning loader symbol in the upper left corner of the screen while they are loading. After performing a factory reset, it will take a bit longer for them to finish loading than after a normal boot. We can possibly improve how long it takes for them to load a bit for a future OS, but I can’t promise anything.

Please let us know if you experience that the Syntakt doesn’t start up again, and we will look into it further.

I do get the loading indicator as well. My unit was sent back for repair and I’m currently waiting for the tracking number to start working.

The unit is back and the issue is still there. First thing it does after unboxing is to freeze on me and then boot up after a quick reboot.

Hopefully I can get a replacement this time instead of waiting 2 more weeks for fix that doesn’t work.

Just wanted to pitch in to anyone who may be concerned by this statement - I have never had an issue with the DT or DN freezing over USB, and I’ve had several different units of both. Though I have frequently experienced the OT crashing while connected via USB.

1 Like

Can you try this:

• set your Digi box to Overbridge mode
  • turn on your computer
  • set up Overbridge on your computer
  • turn off your Digi box
  • connect your Digi box via USB
  • turn on your Digi box

And for good measure: try to turn on your Digi box shortly after turning on your computer.

Both of mine have a tendency to lock up during the boot animation when I do this. I was able to reproduce it under both Linux and Windows - and with two different machines.

I haven’t tested them lately though so it might have been improved/fixed.

1 Like

I got a new Syntakt a couple of days ago in the mail, and when I turned it on this happened… It takes like 10 tries to get it to boot up. When it boots up there are no issues using it. Its fun as hell. But I can’t get too comfortable. It shipped with the old firmware. I was able to update it to the latest, but that didn’t solve the issue. I tried plugging into various power bricks and directly into the wall. All the same result. I sent a message to Elektron support but no reply as of yet. I just ordered a third party adaptor off of amazon to see if that does the trick. Such an unfortunate and odd defect…

Super bummed.

Here is what I tried and didn’t work:

1. Different Elektron power supplies
  2. Different power strips
  3. Factory reset
  4. Format +Drive
  5. Update, and then reinstall the same OS 1.01 update
  6. Leave the PSU plugged in when the unit is turned off
  7. Leave unplug the PSU when the unit is turned off

Did you at any point in time enter test mode by holding FUNC while you turn on the unit?

If that’s a problem it sounds like one at their end not yours :grimacing:

I’m really keen on a Syntakt but it seems it might need a revision or two…