See which notes are playing?

Hey guys,
I’m a newbie here, so bear with me.
Is there a way to see which notes are being played on the sequencer during play mode?
I’m used to seeing midi info on a clip or just replaying stuff with a synth. The idea is that, after recording something on the syntakt, I want to go back and change some notes if they seem off. So far the only solution I’ve found is to select the trig for that particular sequence on record mode and see what note is showing on the screen.
What’s your approach? Do you have a better idea?
I thought it’d be neat that the piano on keyboard mode shows which notes are playing when pressing play, but that clearly isn’t a feature. Wishful thinking I guess :smiley:
Thanks in advance for any insight here!

1 Like

I always write down my patterns on checkered paper, as I compose. So if something sounds strange, I can check the notes on paper and then press the corresponding trig keys, to check that what’s in the Syntakt corresponds to what’s on paper.

1 Like

Oh boy…that can be tricky sometimes if you’re improvising on the fly. Would be great to have a reference right on the device

I impovise 4-5 notes and write down when I’ve got something I like. Then 4-5 notes more etc.
It would be nice if they could add a view where you could select any parameter to show and it shows all 16 values in the selected pattern/track, So you could inspect notes, velocity or anything else.

Would be nice if they could show the icon for the note being played on the corner of the screen. Usually I just improvise and fix the notes as the OP said.

This reminds me of playing Metroid and having to draw my own maps on graph paper. Luckily they eventually got a map. Hopefully Elektron can figure out something similar.

2 Likes

Then it would probably flash-by way too quickly.

1 Like

I’ve gotten used to flying blind a little, especially since the relationship between the chord machine chords and the actual key(s) is flexible. (Since there are no rootless voicings, “CM6” is a decent Fmaj9, etc etc). It can be nice to play the chords and bass line in first, and set the key folding afterward.

If I’m fixing something that sounds “off,” in timing or pitch, I tend to page through the grid record screen along with the sequence playing to find the culprits. Combining that workflow with adding in p-locks, retrigs, extra notes, etc has made it feel like second nature…

Edit to add: also, welcome, and another little trick is to press the trig + YES to audition the note, that way you can hear each note on page 4, say, without waiting for the sequencer…

4 Likes

I’ve raised the issue to Elektron, see what their thoughts are, if it’s doable, if they find it unnecessary, or what ideas they might have :smiley:

Guess you should’ve got the power…NINTENDO POWER.

(apologies if you’re under 40 and have no idea what that refers to)

3 Likes

Haha, don’t worry, I was a subscriber. But I was playing NES metroid back in like 1997 or something.

1 Like