Searching for good FX pedals (not the usual known ones)

Red Witch

1 Like

Aye it.
I watched a mates live set on the tube the other day. He had several posh pedals all set up. Everytime he fed them from the mixer it just sounded like a bunch of disjointed white noise swishing over the mix. Sure, its a dreamy swirly soundscape, but it didn’t improve the music at all. He could have left the fx pedals out and it would have all sounded fine.

I prefer a reverb to compliment the sound, and when you bypass it, you go oh, something is missing, but you dont quite know what.

1 Like

Dunno how some of those pedals are over $500 dollars. Chase Bliss. Cool, gimmicky effects, but $500 dollars? :confused: Yeesh, haters gonna hate I guess.

3 Likes

The joyo analog delay is a great pedal for the price.
The pre-digitech did death metal is good but it takes some time to learn to use it well.
If you can find an old digitech pds1002 that still has functioning switches you’ll probably enjoy it. Lots of great easy mods for it too.
I recently picked up a caline snakebite reverb. It’s like a bad clone of an afterneath. Maybe in a good way. Still making my mind up. Dirt cheap though.
The arion stereo chorus is pretty great and can be had cheap.

1 Like

Thomanns remote effect thingie. You send audio through the available effects on the server.

A similar thing for outboard gear is:

1 Like
2 Likes

Not sure if anyone mentioned digdugDIY stuff.

1 Like

H9 and Quadraverb are my fav and most used hardware fx. Quadraverb into H9 -> Yummy^^

Not sure if it can be considered a “hidden gem”, but the DOD Rubberneck is an analog delay with modulation, tap tempo, filter and send/return! Doesn´t cost a fortune either. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

all ace suggestions

the broadcast is a (gulp) transparent overdrive which tend to be more useable than fuzz or distortion. i love it. on a budget i recommend tc spark or timmy.

isn’t cocked wah just a macho way of saying resonant filter? :sunglasses:

Yes. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah - Strymon DiG has a nice vintage digital style mode but it’s a lot of $$$. There’s one in the Eventide Space too. But most of the interesting stuff going on in that area is software. Eg Valhalla vintage verb and things like TAL Sampler. Definitely space for a stereo reverb pedal that majors on multiple flavours of lower-fidelity digital algorithms.

1 Like

If you can solder you can build a passive ring modulator for less than $20 depending on what transformers you buy.

1 Like

I recommend DOD stuff all day. Every DOD pedal I’ve played has been great, and much of it can be had dirt cheap. If you’re looking for delay the DOD Rubberneck is a fantastic pedal for not much money. Analog delay with tap tempo, modulation, it’s own effects loop so you can send the repeats through other effects and a bunch of other functions not common like a gain knob for dirty repeats and secondary button functions for runaway repeats and some weird pitch bending business.

5 Likes

Dod re-released the gonkulator a few years ago. I haven’t had a chance to play it but the old school one was awesome (but expensive now). Good chance to try it out at a more reasonable price.

1 Like

I hear you, but they tend to be a little noisy, no? I was going to buy one the other day and when I tested it it sounded noisy as hell :slight_smile:

iPad with an interface and a foot controller…MAAAAD options, lovely sound, crazy good value for money, even if you don’t own an ipad yet.

Mine’s a little noisy but I don’t mind a bit of noise, adds to the character.

1 Like

This thread should probably mention Korg Miku.
Definitely not the usual - good pedal? well depends on your angle I guess!

1 Like

Well I ordered 4 pedals:

Fairfield Circuitry - Shallow Water

Collision Devices - Black Hole Simmetry

Rainger FX - Minibar Liquid Analyser

KMA Audio Machines - Horizont

8 Likes

Holy shit that is awesome!

1 Like