Searching for an analogue mono synth

Minibrute 2 is the perfect follow up.

2 Likes

What makes the SV1 so special? Looks fairly limited wrt envelopes and lfos.

Not at all, and are very reliable across the octaves, sometimes the neutron in the higher octaves drifts a little, but not such thing with the Poly D, very consistent tuning. For example I tested not using it for around 10 days and there was no change in tuning at all.

If the OSC ever drift, they do it consistently together, so just a tiny adjustment of the global tune knob does the trick, but I mean maybe 1 or 3 cents. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes and it works like a charm.

Another thing (and sorry to write so much) is that feedback works really good on the Poly D, the phones to EXT in can be quite chaotic, and if you add that to the Chorus or the Distortion the resonance goes bonkers and you can make very aggressive sounds

1 Like

Most overlooked little mono going in my opinion. Not limited at all.
Raw sound of the Oscillators, the filter, the FM capabilites cross mod, built in splitter I could go on.

2 Likes

Subharmonicon
Erica Synths Bassline DB-01

SV1, ( I have the b version) is a stellar mono synth

Built like a tank, no menu, one knob per funcition, It sounds very good, it is semimodular but it can be used as a modular too.

The filters are very creamy, can do FM, it has a 2 oscillators with several waveform to choose (sine too) 2 suboscillaors, Noise, a mixer, 2 LFO, a midi to cv converter, utility signal splitter and sample and hold.

I use it for bass, leads, plucky sounds, percussions, kicks, drones, glitch and experimental generative sounds

4 Likes

Sv1 seems not available in Germany.
It really seems to be a very nice sounding synth. Thought about pairing it with a moog werkstatt

I think it is discontinued, I am not sure if they are planning to launch a c version

The guys at Pittsburgh Modular are genius and their products are not mass production, it is more boutique stuff

1 Like

I had to sell my GM because I simply don’t have the space for any synth larger than a module but if space was no object that thing would have remained in my possession forever

I’d go MS 20 or Grandmother here.

I never owned an MS20 but tried it several time, it’s a wild machine, sound awesome and very versatile.

I have the Moog Grandmother since quite a while now, I’ll probably keep it till my death (or her’s). It’s probably a little bit more limited than the MS20 in term of synthesis BUT you get the Arp / Sequencer and the spring reverb, wich in my opinion make it a fully playable electronic instruments on it’s own.

Here are some videos I did about the Grandmother if it can be of service:

2 Likes

Hi Jan! Thanks for reaching out. We’re sorry to say that the SV-1b is discontinued. However, the final units shipped out a few weeks ago, so you may still be able to locate one through our global dealer network:

Though the SV-1 is discontinued, we are working hard on some new stand-alone modular synths. We hope to have some announcements later in the year. Stay tuned!

Got this reply in August asking PM about sv-1

2 Likes

thanks for the info!

Always going to recommend the Sequential Pro2. It can literally do anything you could ever want out of a mono, plus more. Lots of tweakability and the dual filters make it insanely flexible.

I’ve replicated MS20 patches on it trying to get some Jon Hopkins sounds, loads of weird and wonderful noises, standard bass/mono sounds, plus I’ve used it to play two lines at the same time for parts in songs where I previously needed two synths.
The touch strips are great for adding extra sounds that you could never blend to with turning knobs yourself.

That’s all before you even add in it being paraphonic and having all the weird waves and superwaves.
Only thing I would change is to swap out one of the four delays for a reverb, but I can do that externally so it’s no issue.

1 Like

Probably the cheapest one mentioned here, but in my opinion a great synth nonetheless:

Korg Monologue

• got a sequencer, with P-Lock like functionality
  • pretty much knob per function
  • nice size
  • fast LFO
2 Likes

UNO synths
Db01
Sh01a (not analogue but sounds great )
Typhon
Ms 1 though I hate the sequencer.

There are many many monosynths.
Or get nord4r/ nord a1 and end up with 4 x independent synths with fx with money left over to get 2nd hand sequencer.