Searching for an analogue mono synth

I’m in the market for an analog mono synth. Features I’m looking for include it being versatile, well built, knob per function and ideally with a sequencer. I’m also looking for something with a bit of character. Things on my radar include the moog Grandmother and subsequent 37, Behringer Poly D, 2600, Monopoly and the korg MS20. Max budget is around the 1k euro mark.

The Behringers are at a nice price point but I’m always wary about their longevity. I’m starting to tie myself up in knots with all the options…

Out of your list I’d go for the MS20. Bags of character, pretty versatile, semi modular, built like a tank, knob per function and likely to appreciate pretty well over the years.

7 Likes

MS20 for sure. Incredible synth. You won’t regret it.

2 Likes

Did you have a closer look at the MFB Dominion 1? It should perfectly fit your criteria and sounds super nice! A bit hard to find, though…

1 Like

4 Dominion 1’s are currently available on ebay-kleinanzeigen spreaded across germany

1 Like

Oh, nice then :+1: I had some more trouble to find one here in Switzerland, but got one at the end for way less than the ones on ebay-kleinanzeigen.

1 Like

All of the synths you listed are awesome and I’d love to fiddle their knobs with my dirty little thumbs. I’d particularly like to stroke and twiddle someone’s Grandmother.

Forget I said that.

I have a question - forgetting about specs, number of oscillators, and all the other goodies for now - which one on your list tickles your fancy the most when you look at it? Just gut reaction, ‘that one looks cool’ type of reaction?

1 Like

yeah, i also have the feeling that these might be a bit above average regarding the price and I was also suprised that there are four of these. Just remembered that one was offered close to my hometown

Grandmother

No need to worry, they’re well built.

1 Like

Don’t sleep on the Bass Station 2 / AFX-Station. It’s a really well-designed synth that can do a lot.

10 Likes

Along the same line, although more expensive - and also more particular sounding - is the excellent Norand Mono

4 Likes

haven’t used it before but mono lancet sounds fantastic.

If you’re good with patches, you just can’t go wrong with mother32 and gmother.

Also another unpopular suggestion is your iPad instead over behringers. Not saying that they’re bad but if it’s the price appeal, you can even go cheaper and get the near original reproductions of the devices. It means more cables but you literally get the identical sounds (and on top of that tons of effects are also available for free) If you have the right tools you can both send/receive audio and midi from usb-c now.

1 Like

bass station is indeed quite nice. ms20 with sq-1 great choice as well. sq-1 is one of those things for which if i’ve not used it for a while i’m not impressed but once I get back into the groove of it I find it irreplaceable. it would pair with whatever your choice.

my real choice if i had to pick one is an sh101 but it may seem a bit too simplistic. forever favorite synth though for me.

1 Like

Korg MS20 is nice, but doesn´t have a sequencer. May i suggest something else that completely fullfills all the criteria?
Arturia Minibrute 2/2S
The Key version has the SH styled sequencer from the Keystep. The 2S version has a nifty step sequencer.
Character is given through the Steiner Parker filter and the excellent Oscillators.
Price is around 450€.

Consider also Novation BassStation 2, Arturia Microfreak, Roland SH01a, Korg Monologue

4 Likes

Minilogue XD

Edit: does excellent mono duties, with the added bonus of three extra voices. And a 16 step sequencer with 4 lanes of automation.

Yamaha CS series is also worth considering.
I have a CS-10 which is sequencer-less, although can be used in conjunction with the analog four’s cv tracks for sequencing purposes.
One knob per function.
Relatively cheap for vintage and sounds lovely.

None of these have sequencer

Norand Mono is what you need

3 Likes

roland se-02 is small, cheap, sounds huge, and has a sequencer.

2 Likes