Screen issues. Dark lines gradient [resolved]

Hi guys. I just received my order purchased from Cuttof Audio (Spain).

It turns out that I am seeing that on some configuration screens a very ugly dark gradient appears on the screen. I would like to know if this gradient is normal or a defect in my unit.

For example on the screen, when this playback type is “Stretch”, right in the image logo that appears on the left above the word “SRC”, in that logo, a very ugly dark gradient appears. Is this normal?

Add photo in this link: IMG-8594 hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

It’s normal behavior. Is my unit’s screen in bad condition?

Any help would be welcome…

Thank you so much.

I had the same thoughts, but then checked Loopop’s and Cuckoo’s videos, and it is the same, even though they have a higher LED light intensity set (I’m on the lowest). So I guess this is normal. I then re-checked my Syntakt - it is also there but less pronounced, and on the yellow screen of the OG Digitakt it’s almost completely absent. Not entirely sure if this is by design though, since this gradient of less intensive LEDs seems to go either through middle of waveforms, splitting them, and it is also visible on some other graphical elements, possibly making them look more embossed.

I have sent a ticket to Elektron’s official support to inform me about it. With the answer you indicate,

I will report it here.

Thanks for your cooperation…

I think this is normal now, since all screens exhibit this to some degree. I got used to it pretty quickly, but still miss the crisp Yellow display of the original Digitakt. I guess it’s subjective.

Yes, mine is shown below, along with a different case on the same page, it shows you WHY this occurs … these are not going to be the highest spec (highest cost) screens, they need to be legible and robust - these shadows are something you just get used to not noticing, there’s nothing to sweat about - Have a Look in test Mode (read the manual) but eventually when through the test, pressing Trig 1 and 2 will allow you to see the screen full on full off, 3,4,5 for leds etc

This is how all these screens render when they have a large amount of active pixels on one horizontal line

If it was failing it would be clear in TEST MODE where you can test the PIXELS

In test Mode each Horizontal line is loaded equally, so you will not see this relative difference

5 Likes

Elektron technical support has just answered me and informed me of the following:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! It is normal in this type of OLED screens. If you want to check if everything is fine with your screen, you can run test mode and press buttons 1 and 2. Activation key 1 turns on all pixels and activation key 2 turns off all pixels.

To run test mode, press and hold the FUNC button while turning on the device and choose test mode.

Sincerely…

1 Like

Yes. It’s always been the case with these displays in Elektron gear. DT1 and DN (yellow) have that, too.

I like it (distribution of brightness per used pixels per line). Has something physical machine like futuristic to it. (Like the Oberheim Matrix 6 display).

2 Likes

This is happening on horizontal lines with the highest density of pixels

Examine the screen behaviour in test mode and it will be uniform (hopefully). Elektron indicate that this ‘ghosting’ is an expected downside for this screen under these conditions (where density varies wrt neighbour lines).

It’s still very legible, clearly not ‘ideal’ … but this happens on other devices too - presumably better rendering screens are available, but probably pricier

1 Like