Scoring to picture

I like the start especially with the note changes timed to the cuts (or the blinking of the light). Then the cuts slow down and the note changes don’t feel as emphatic to me anymore.

Still, yet another different take on the vignette, which makes this interesting!

1 Like

I extended the challenge until the 19th as this one’s starting to get noticed a little bit. Don’t know if actual voting makes sense but if there are at least a couple of additional entries, then why not. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

sounds good to me, maybe there’ll be few more entries by then :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think this one was pretty decent. I think I’ve seen this guy in some of Christian Henson’s videos, which to me are great in this field (Henson uses Logic but many of the pointers would probably be universal). Like David Hilowitz says here in the beginning, Ableton might not be the most common choice among ”film composers”, hence the small-ish number of Youtube tutorials on the subject.

Having said that, I think just have fun with it. I mean, anyone who’s been following this ”scene” would know of the infamous Westworld scoring competition where the winner scored this chase scene in chiptune style. I don’t necessarily like the piece but it would certainly stand out among 11,000(!) other entries. The short video clip provided in this thread might not spark very over-the-top scoring ideas though. :smiley:

Love the idea of this thread. I’m doing this exact thing at uni (not this clip, but have done a few rescores of other clips as assignments), so participating would be doubling up a little, but I’d definitely be keen on a future rescore!

2 Likes

I’m down. I have until the 19th? Cool. Thanks for the challenge. It sounds fun!

1 Like

Awesome! Yeah, the 19th is our deadline. :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking forward to your entry!

1 Like

Found some free time and tried my hand at this. Except for the sub bass that comes in at the end this is basically one take with a Korg Wavestate. I say basically one take because I played the midi, adjusted the midi to align with cuts (which felt more difficult than it needed to be with ableton since I had to restart the playhead to the beginning every time to line up the video), and re did the modulation using the modwheel, pitchbend, and joystick in a seperate “take.”

3 Likes

This was nice! Despite the slight difficulty with the workflow you described it actually sounded a very convenient way to work on thos.

It’s weird how the video always looks different when I watch it with different music - although that’s the whole point of this exercise. I’m probably just surprised how different the video looks every time.

1 Like

I’m new to this, just picked up the Digitone, I’ve had the Digitakt for a month. I was trying to making city sounds. Jack hammer ish, electrical sounding sounds, door bell ish sound. And I slowed down a sample from a Johnny Marr bit lifted from a Smiths song… because why not. Thank you for the challenge! It was fun!

Scoring Challenge

2 Likes

I tried posting the video like you guys did, but I could only get a link to it. Sorry

If you click “share” on your vid and grab the youtu.be link (rather than just copying and pasting the main URL) and just paste it into your post, that should work.

I like the muted lead sound in your score, works well.

Thank you for the compliment and the tip! This was a fun challenge but it was difficult to pick a direction to go. And I tried to paste it also but it didn’t work. Absolutely my own error I’m sure ha ha. Thanks again!

Thanks for your entry, @uhstevenk! Nice that we’ve had a good variety of different takes on the same video.

The challenge is still open for another day or so, in case someone’s still on the fence whether to take part or not.

1 Like

Alright, the challenge is now closed but don’t worry - there’s a new one waiting for us already.

Three entries in Open Battle #01, five in this challenge - hopefully more in Open Battle #02!

I’m probably just stupid but I don’t know how to create a poll on this forum. So unless someone tells me how to do that, I’m more than fine with letting this challenge be an exercise and not an actual battle.

Thanks to everyone who participated and commented, it was both fun and eye-opening!

2 Likes

Thanks for setting it up @korpinen, it was an interesting and fun exercise

1 Like

Thought this would be the appropriate topic to link to the new Spitfire
Audio scoring competition.

Would be awesome to have an entry from one or two Elektronauts as well! If you decide to take part, please link to your video in this topic!

Judging by the winner of the last Spitfire comp, a chiptune dubstep mashup could be just the ticket

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure there’s a fair amount of entries like that this time around! :rofl:

Just watched the 2-minute scene that the competition is for. Let’s just say I probably won’t even try. Would be good practice of course but for me there’s not really a single thing about the scene that I find inspiring.

1 Like

Ha, honestly I think the last one was so controversial they may decide to go with a more standard type of score this time! (although one criterion is individuality, so who knows….) And yeah I’ll be sitting this one out.

1 Like