SB-1 Space Bee

Wow, this still isn’t out? I remember one of their reps(?) announcing to me at SuperBooth that this was (/would be?) the “world’s slimmest synthesizer

I guess if it’s vaporware then…?

It’s not vaporware. ( At least by my definition of that. ) It was clearly there at Superbooth. Where it is now, is the question.

And while there have been worse on Kickstarter – outright swindles – the record there is mostly on the good side.

( Reference : The Crowdfunding – The Good the Bad & the Ugly thread )

There is still a better than snowballs chance with this though.

Ah true, I was more joking than serious, but I guess it does exist - I even played it with my own hands lol.

I learnt a lesson from somewhere I briefly worked - as soon as you allow for pre-orders, make sure there’s stock ready to start moving, the thinking here being that you want to capitalise on the initial buzz/hype of the announcement. I wonder what the state of play will be once the SB1 does actually start shipping. Din-Sync have done their 101 clone kit now, and there are more recently announced alternatives that achieve that 101 sound/feel on the market too.

3 Likes

Especially now with the significant bump in the SB01 price.

Another valuable lesson in product development is ...

when you start a design, you need to design for what the competition will be when you ship, and that is a moving target. So you need to move as fast as you can while still having a very good product.

6 Likes

Superlative gave an update on January 3rd.

The plan is to begin manufacture in the spring. They do give some detail on specific changes.

It sounds like the non-volatile RAM change is to fix a design goof made much earlier. But the manufacturing test jig modification is much more the sort of unanticipated late problem that is part of design. The tiny circuit board photos at the bottom show both changes.

My feeling is this is actually going to complete, though we’ll see how close to spring this actually lands.

2 Likes