Saving the project save the parts?

UP please <3

Thanks for the tests.
I save with renamed projects too.

This is such an amusing post.

Reminded me how to save all pars which is what I was looking for so thank you!

If this is correct, some product/systems developer has failed miserably.
Saving safely should be obvious.

ā€¦still, I love my Octatrack :smiley:

Why?

My golden rule:

• if i use multiple parts in a project or going to reload a part: save parts -> save project
  • if i only use one part and no need to reload it: just save project.
5 Likes

I just save the project. But Iā€™m using several banks, hence different parts. Most of the time 1 part per song.
Iā€™d save parts only for live reload purpose. Sometimes I copy the part to another one as backup.

2 Likes

I think that if you can have three states at one time you will make mistakes.

1 Like

Normally no mistakes if you donā€™t save parts.

iā€™m going to cross post this as it seems relevant to this topic, but does anyone ever have to reload their project after shutting down? it seems like no matter what, i always have to reload my project to get back to the project i was working before shutting down.

Does it happen with all projects?
Did you try with a new project?
Normally, after power cycle, even if you didnā€™t save anything, the project should be loaded as it was before.
The OT loads the current state of the project, not the saved state.

I was about to quote that topic!
Saving the project save the parts?

i only have one project, so i havenā€™t tried creating another project. the behavior happen intermittently. i can shutdown and my project is goodā€¦but every so often this ghost project gets loaded and i have to reload my project to get back to where i was.

i did try copying the project, loading from that one instead, and then syncing my compact flash, but the behavior never went away.

Is there a way to mess about with my first part and then save it to the second part? It seems to me that I have to copy my original part to another part then mess about.

To me itā€™s more natural to make edits to what I am doing and once I am really happy to save that to a new location.

ā€œSave toā€ is what I need rather than ā€œsaveā€

Sounds like different ways of getting to the same thing. Closest to what you want is if you save your first part before you mess with it, you can reload it after youā€™ve copied it across to slot 2, but may as well copy it first then you can save all parts. Less steps.

One way I use parts - kind of a jamming and tweaking use, not performance:

If iā€™m happy with part 1, I copy it 3 times, to the other 3 (you get a muscle memory for this) then move onto part 2, play about some more, then 3, then 4. Then I switch through and compare all 4 to see if Iā€™ve improved on 1ā€¦

2 Likes

You can simply copy /paste your part and mess with itā€¦
I save projects, but I donā€™t save parts, because their state is saved with the project. Time saving, avoids errors (part reload).

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a nice work around, 4 copiesā€¦ Thanks