Saving patterns workflow

Hello all,
Analog 4 mk2
Been looking around for an answer to this,
I’d like to get some insight into peoples workflow when saving patterns. Due to the analog’s tendency to consistently replace patterns once you change bank I’m finding I’m always loosing patterns.
I’m currently having to func+copy to save pattern, then revert to the original pattern, move to another part, then func+paste just so i don’t loose the pattern I started with! This is a very annoying and slow work flow and stunts the development of ideas.

Perhaps using the pages might work. Is there any way to loop individual pages of patterns eg, loop page 3:4?

Any insight into how people work with patterns would be greatly appreciated.

What??? I’m not sure I can follow what you try to explain here. Each bank is a set of 16 patterns. When you switch the bank, of course there are 16 different patterns available. Switch back to the bank you come from and the patterns should still be there.

The only way to loose patterns is by forgetting to save the project before loading another project (or by pasting over a pattern by mistake and not immediately undo the pasting). Switching around between banks shouldn’t trigger any pattern loss.

No, not on the A4.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Patterns are permanently changed once you switch pattern and bank. This behaviour stunts workflow.

It happens often that I’ve got a pattern I like. I’m jamming and begin to alter the pattern live, come up with a new pattern I also like and want to save that as well. So in order to do this I need to stop my jam. copy the pattern, revert to the existing pattern BEFORE changing to a new pattern number and copy it there. This is slow and cumbersome, gets in the way of jamming, and one wrong move and you’ve deleted your pattern. There must be an easier more intuitive way of working.

Thanks

Ah, you are talking about the auto-save feature (the word “tendency” mislead me :wink: ) …

Well, I guess there really isn’t a “best” way. What’s working for me is to make a temporary copy of the pattern first and then jam with that copy.

BTW: If you are about to loose the original pattern, because you have already switched to the next pattern, you can still recover the original pattern, because nothing gets written to the +drive unless you execute “save project”.

1. switch back to the altered pattern and copy it
  2. reload project (this restores the original pattern!)
  3. paste the altered pattern to a new pattern

The “weirdness” of the auto-save feature got discussed in length here (I still think it’s a stupid implementation):

just copy your pattern to a new one and change it there…
Reload pattern is a performance feature to revert it back.
In a daw you can’t just make a new pattern on top of another and somehow have it be both