Sampling omnichord

Hi forumites!

I have a Suzuki OM27 Omnichord. One of the things I’ve had in mind since I got the Rytm a year ago was to sample the Omnichord for use with the Rytm.
I thought I should share it here too when it’s ready. I guess It would work well for the octatrack as well. I have a UAD apollo interface so that should be good enough for capturing it well. I have some days next week when my family is away to work on it.

I’m considering what approach i should take, I haven’t really made samples of an instrument before. I’m asking for some pointers to consider which might get lost otherwise. Since the different chord buttons with the organ sound is what I would use the most with the rytm, I’m sampling them first, then the “harp”-sound which seems more complex to go about.

Would 1 second bits suffice? or should I make them 2 seconds long?
Or should I make one long sample chain with the Rytms internal division of 120 steps in mind for using start/stop markers to access different chords?
Maybe split it into 2 chains with Minor and major chords? Is anyone interested in the 7th-chords? I’m not really but if it gets 10 votes I’ll make a chain for them too.

The OM27 only has 9 chords, missing the Db, the Gb and the Ab. Easily done with some pitching. I have soundtoys for that, the little alter boy can help. I also have Cubase or Studio one which both have pitching built in.

The OM-27 also has a cheesy Drum machine. I’ve never used it but I could also sample some hits from that.

So, please help me with some pointers! You will be rewarded!

1 Like

Hi zeitmachine,

just my $0.02 - I’d prefer 2 over 1 second bits and individual samples over sample chains. I feel this would give me more flexibility and I could easily chain individual samples the way I need them. I’d love 7th chords for sure. Not so sure about cheesy drum hits. There’s an abundance of those IMHO.

Thanks for sharing,
Michael

To be honest, if you’re going to the trouble of doing this, it would kinda be nice to also lay hands on a source file, perhaps trimmed, but even just a single 24/48 file with an assortment of chord / note strikes and whatnot would be handy to tinker with in a number of capacities (inc AR)
Fabulous instrument :okej:

I would sample it normally (decent lengths), forgetting that it’s going to be for the RYTM, and let people make sample chains and edit them on their own after the fact :]

I sampled mine a few years back and made a Reason refill. Superb instrument, one of only a few I regret selling.

http://ghostlys-reason.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/001-omnichord-refill.html

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for your input! Ill have a look at your refill too, when im back from the countryside @ghostly606

I know you posted this ages ago but is there an updated link to your omnichord samples? I’ve been looking for one for ages and the Dropbox is expired

Hey did you ever get around to doing this?

Try here:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

And here’s the refill if anyone’s interested:

Dropbox - Omnichord.rfl - Simplify your life