Noob-ish question, so apologies in advance!
I currently have an A4 and MD-UW, and am looking to add an Octatrack for the following purposes:
- Sample loops from A4 into Octa, to free up tracks on the A4, during composition
- Use it for midi sequence for other gear
- A mixer, and to stay away from Ableton
- Get to know it in-depth, despite the learning curve, to increase creativity
I went from a TR-8 to an MD, and never look back. Parameter locks and the amount of sound design options being available on the MD as the main reason. To save the lifetime of the MD, I’m thinking of sampling it’s sounds into the Octrack, and then rely less on the MD.
The key question I have is if I sample some of the MD sounds into the Octatrack:
- are some of the sound design options on the Octa on-par or even satisfactory (filter, delay, reverb, hold, decay, etc.)? Would I essentially miss the MD?
- is chromatic mode any good on the Octa? One of the things I don’t like about the MD is the fact that there’s no chromatic mode, and to program the BC machine (bongo conga) is a pain in terms of constantly adjusting pitch.
Thanks in advance!