Sampling in Machinedrum

I am pretty new to Machinedrum and the sampling part is so frustrating.
I’ve look through the forum and still can’t figure it out. If I can’t work this out, I might have to replace the machine or buy a sampler which I can’t for the moment, so pls help!…

So far
-I’ve managed to capture a sound (somehow I can’t record sound from my mic.?)
-went into Sample Manager and found my 315K sample at the bottom where it said R1
-copied it and went up the menu, pasted on the empty spot.
-I am not sure if I am right because it wouldn’t play back. Just keep saying waiting.

Now what I want to do is
-How can I use the sample when I build my pattern?
-I make pattern usually from loading a kit and I play around with it and save.
-Do I have to build my own kit? if so, how?

Also
-It said I’ve used 64% already when I only recorded 2 samples. What do I do if it gets full?

Thanks in advance!

yep, here it’s hard to find basic operation info.

I assume you have read that specific section in the manual - could be confusing at first, I admit.

Have a look at Elektrons youtube channel you’ll find a nice overview of the MD.

Getting deeper I recommend Cenk’s workflow vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZrYjKFsyc
YT is the perfect helper for early beginners…

Your mic won’t work on a line input, its signal is to weak to drive this input.The easiest and cheapest way is a tiny mixer with basic routing capabilities, where you can use an aux out to drive the MD’s input.

It’s a good way to learn the maschine from its presets. You can easily copy and paste them (kits, patterns) and assign your own names. Your sample must be assigned to a RAM/ROM maschine to play it back.

Your RAM behaves like every RAM on a PC - when it’s filled it is filled. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip and the link. I bought MD especially for the sample capability, so I really wonder about this.

Right now, what bugs me the most is how I can actually use the sample I saved in Rom machine. I found nothing about it when googling - am I missing something in the manual? Once you save, how do you recall to assign in the track?
Maybe nobody’s doing this way…

Apologies that I don’t have time to type up a walk through but yes, almost everyone uses the sampling and it should be in the manual. You will edit your kit, put a sampling machine in there, assign your sample to that, and now when you press that button the sample will play. I think the details of the sampling machine are toward the end of the manual as I recall. Sorry for super short but it’s way past bed time here.

Cool, thanks for the help! will look for that part in the manual.

Function + Yes to preview sound in sample manager

1 Like

Oh yes, thanks! I must have pushed the wrong button.

Try to remember that MDUW handles sampling a lot different than a straight forward sampling machine. Its a bit confusing at first when learning how the sampling capabilities are laid out, but once it clicks you will be able to see why so many of us who own this machine will never let it go, and sampling is just one reason. Remember, you must use a record machine (R1 to R4) to record the sample and on a separate track you must use a playback machine (P1 to P4) to play the recorded sample. You can save the sample to the Rom machine later if you want to. you have 16 channels so using two channels to record a sample and play it back isn’t really a loss. you can also resample your sample after you’ve tweaked it and mangled it. Keep reading the manual and check out the YT videos, there are litterally hundreds of these explaining exactly what you are asking, oh and the MD forum will have loads of tips and tricks for what you can do with your samples after you have something you want to contort. Check out Tarekith’s tips and tricks pdf. I haven’t looked at it in a while but its full of his as well as other "Nauts tips and tricks that are extremely useful. Also, if you haven’t done so already, check out the files section of this forum and go to the Machinedrum section. Besides some useful sysex files there are some tips in there as well. Hope this gives you some direction. Don’t be scared to ask, we all have been there.

3 Likes

Workflow vid 0:40 - 1:45.

1 Like

^^^^

Cenk explains it step by step here for you @Voxx

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! Big help.
I just ran into trouble of deleting everything on my MD which I posted on the new thread…
Randomly pushing buttons and QUICKMODE seemed to have turn the whole thing into a factory setting.

So I am now trying to figure this part out, aha…

Upload this Elektron-made sample pack with kits and you can have a go.

Sorry about your work, now is a good time to learn about back-ups. We have all learned the hard way. Manual has the details again.

2 Likes

Thanks for it, NOW I know about sanpshots! Opening up so much more spaces. I don’t think I’ll be selling my MD after all lol.
Just been starting from scratch and just digging in the manuals.

4 Likes

Snapshots buddy… great stuff. Glad to hear you are keeping this wonderful instrument…

dont skim through pages… set an hour aside and… read the damn manual :upside_down:

2 Likes

So I got the sampling working! :grinning:
The Youtube above helped plus getting the concept of snapshot/sample bank from the manual did.
Thanks all!

4 Likes