Samples go out of time when changing rate

Hi guys. I’m experimenting with static machines with the purpose of playing back a song recorded in a Daw (with the added benefits of the OT) and I’ve run into a problem. I’ve loaded the first 2 static tracks with long samples, one for guitar, other playing bass. Now I’m using the crossfader to mess briefly with the rate of track 1, but when I return to the original scene, the sample never syncs up with the bass again (in the same way they were recorded), the bass being a few sections ahead.

I’m aware that static machines stream directly from the card, and some lag is to be expected, however I thought this issue only affected the LFO/ crossfader modulation of the STRT parameter.

One thing I should mention: i turned off timestretch for the 2 static tracks because it was messing with their tempo, although I matched them. So I’m trying to establish how far can I experiment with a long sample in a static track and still be able to keep up with the rest of the tracks (,is the rate knob off-limits?. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Nothing’s off limits. :wink:

But if you wanna stay in sync, you should probably not mess with the playback rate of a single element.

Think about it… How could the machine possibly know where “you were at” when returning to the original tempo?

Maybe you need to slow down long enough to be “musically” behind. Maybe you need to create a scene with rate going up, as a means to catch up again. Or maybe use another effect or modulation on your scene, so you don’t drift out of time.

4 Likes

Yeah, normal behavior. If you want to stay in sync while using rate, you have to trigger more often your sample with start / slices.
How long is your sample ?

1 Like