Samplers with analogue filters / Synths with sample oscillators

I wonder if the MI Ambika could be modified for this? It has digital oscs into 6 analog filters, open source so maybe someone could create a new voice board to play samples?

That’s my worry for the Minifreak too. The filters might be analogue but I’ve found them on par with the analogue filter in the JDXi, insomuch as they are analogue but other than the sweeter resonance, there isn’t much analogue character about them.

Thanks all for the suggestions, so far it does seem like there are sort-of-solutions but most are a bit of a cludge or have issues or are just digital. Not that there’s a problem there, I’d probably be happy with a something like Tera Pro on the iPad if it took samples in this way and just instead get a warming circuit such as an Analog Heat*.

The MC707 intrigues me for this but when I had one before the only programming was on the unit (so while Zencore Pro is the software editor, it doesn’t allow user samples). Also I can’t recall if you can save patches on it or if they are linked to the sequence. The JDXi is like that, patches are linked to a sequence and not stored centrally like in normal synths.

*because Tera Pro is superb and has a fantastic sound including lots of characterful filters that match or beat digital filters in hardware. It would just benefit from that studio trick of being taken out the box to add a little life.

1 Like

it is actually, they chain together like voice cards.

2 Likes

The filter isn’t though? It would be paraphonic, no? You’d need modular polyphony (osc, env, filter per voice) which is currently still exceedingly expensive. I’d not be opposed to it, there are some stunning filters in euroland, but polyphony is still in its infancy here.

I wonder the same thing as OP.

We touched on this topic in this other thread also:

I picked up a Mirage about 5 years ago and can’t part with it, even if I’m not using it all the time. I can make the most gorgeous lawnmower sounds or single-cycle sounds, detuned through those Curtis filters… with 8 dual-osc voices… :heart_eyes: (or more, using Soundprocess)

Seems like modular folks have a lot of options, especially lately. I hold myself back from modular, but when looking at recent arrivals at one of my local synth stores, I’ve been seeing a few sample-playing modules … which of course could then be fed into whichever great analog filter someone has.

Folks rightly point out that the Rytm is an option:

For those willing to combine two instruments, to me it seems a shame to (for example) bypass the great digital filter on a Model:Samples/OT, Roland S-series, or later Ensoniq, in order to feed the unfiltered audio through the analog filter on an A4, Syntakt, or Heat. But maybe there are some creative, practical uses for doing so? A tracker program running on an Amiga, for example, doesn’t have a good hardware filter (it’s “on” or “off”) so those raw samples from the Paula sound great running through the analog filter on the Syntakt…

Korg Modwave? That can load Serum wavetables AFAIK, I’d presume you could load any WAV file to the device.

waldorf quantum MK2 has analog filters right? can load samples/wavetables/granular stuff on top of all the synthesis models.

1 Like

Definitely, and also a pain in the butt to set up. Honestly the prophet X is a value in comparison… but it COULD be done.

I always like the results from using single cycle wave samples on the RYTM.

This for sure! I dont have a Retrokits but I think about it a lot.
I usually just program pseudo poly stuff on the RYTM. It can be a pita but also gets unique results.

The Tempest makes a great poly synth that uses samples as oscillators

1 Like

This is what I was going to say too. Otherwise, you can find Emu e6400’s and Akai S5000/6000 devices for $500-1500 depending on condition and what not. I love the idea of getting another Emu or Akai, but in practice, at least for me it’d be a big mistake.

For me, a Waldorf Iridium would more than do and if analog filtering is that important, I’d treat/pass audio through some modular or other external devices as part of the process.

2 Likes

I think the easiest way is to use software, digital filters have gotten pretty good and for polyphonic playing often extreme filter modulation, which analog is maybe still better for, can get in the way. But otherwise…

Gotharman Zaturn can be four voice polyphonic with 2 sample layers per voice and analog filters plus a whole lot more.

DSS-1’s with the straylight mod have expanded memory, usb and can load wave files. I have a love/hate relationship with mine, the filter is beautiful and it sounds flat out amazing but almost everything else about it annoys me.

If anyone does make a modern sampler with analog vcf/vca’s, which I’d love but don’t think I’ll ever see, it will not be cheap.

3 Likes

Not only do most Gotharman machines have filters, there are many options to install including an SP1200 style filter.

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re hoping for, but have you considered whether or not something like a Sherman Filterbank would be a solution for you? Send audio from a sampler to it and now you have analog filtering available.

Yes but that’s really a last resort. I just want an old school sampler updated to modern specs. Like if someone remade the Mirage like they remade the SP1200 as the S2400.

1 Like

…get a heat…and whatever u feed it with, there u go with all sorts of truu analog filtering…

MC-707 doesn’t have analog filter, but it’s filter models aren’t bad at all. Each sound can have 4 layers (called parts) and each part can be either VA or sample from hundreds of included samples or load/sample your own. Lots of polyphony and effects is also nice for pads.

Am I right in thinking that you can only program partials that use samples via the front panel though? At least not in Zenology Pro and transfer them across as Zenology Pro doesn’t allow use of user samples?

I never tried to do this in Zenology, but would be kind of weird if it wasn’t possible. I thought Zenology is supposed to be able to do everything that Zencore is capable of, even more than MC series.

I’ve read people making them with user samples in the 707 and Fantom 6 and they don’t work on ZP.

: Zenology Pro: Import Wav Samples to Drumkits

Post 01:53, 19 June 2021

Hey, friends. Brian from Roland Cloud here. At this time Roland Cloud is unable to import audio. This may be a possibility in the future, but not at this time. I’ll add this to our weekly feature request report for you. Thanks! :

Can’t see it’s changed in ZP v2 but would be very happy to hear otherwise.