Sample tempo & time stretch

Hi everyone,

I had a question regarding tempo and time stretching. So I’ve been wanting to mess with time stretching for awhile and I finally have some time to mess around on my DT. I’m messing around with a sample I made awhile back and for some reason I’m not able to adjust the the BPM for the track. The BPM on the sequencer changes but doesn’t affect my sample whatsoever.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

There is no time stretch on the Digitakt as such, so if you’re just loading a loop and expecting it to follow tempo changes it wont. But there are workarounds using the LFO, check this tutorial out:

5 Likes

That’s pretty straightforward, thanks!

You’re very welcome :+1:

1 Like

I stumbled across this variation that has an increased resolution trick to reduce skipping artifacts. To my ears, this makes the DT almost competitive (minus stereo, of course) in sound quality to loop-based samplers.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is any difference between this and the 2 trig method?

1 Like

Belay my previous post. The 2 trig method is working much better for me and I’m finding it easier to get cleaner results, with the retrig resolution hack inherent in the method.

2 Likes

So …

Over the years, I’ve curated and categorized a collection of loops (mostly stems) of various sub-genres of clubby dance music, such as hard grooving house, tech house, nu disco, funk, etc. Some of the material is original from my own songs/loops, some is curated from libraries that I like, and some is sampled directly from my music collection.

I spent time over the past few days picking some “best of” loops from this collection and then further processing and organizing the content to optimize it for the Digitakt, including folder organization, collapsing most of it to 16bit mono, splitting a few true stereo stems into L/R mono pairs and other tweaks to make this stuff more easily searchable and usable on the DT.

I also set up some pre-defined “loop” tracks with LFO, pattern length and other settings optimized for different beat lengths so I can basically copy/paste these pre-made loop tracks anywhere in a project and then just replace the sample/sound at will.

This is turning into quite a playground, being able to quickly add loops at-will to any pattern, easily mixing and matching with sequenced parts at any (reasonable) tempo.

Doing all that prep work was worth it for the pure fun I’m having now with this additional capability and ease with which I’m putting together some new live set material.

1 Like