Sample Editing Question

Cheers my man. So 2 bars is two pages.?(yes yes i know im dumb). And every 4 trigs is 1 note(quarter note is 1 trig).

1 step = 16th
4 steps = 1/4 note = 1 beat
16 steps = 1 bar = 1 page

9 Likes

Gotcha!. Is the timestretching default or do i have to uncheck it every sample allocated to a flex machine?

Not sure if it’s on by default in the AED, but you can set timestretch to off in the playback/src setup page of the flex machine.

Timestretch set to off the playback/src setup page means, regardless of the setting saved with the sample, timestretch is off.
Auto means, that the saved setting will be used, so it depends on which sample is played.
On means always on, regardless of the setting saved with the sample.

So there are basically two layers, that interact with each other, depending on the settings.

5 Likes

Fantastic help. Cheers. And i do keep reading the manual but im thinking hands on is the only real way to get to know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TRIM is not very precise with BPM or TRIM.
For 1 beat (1/4 note - 4 steps), the formula to calculate a precise value in samples :

60 / BPM x 44100 = X samples

At 85 BPM, 2 bars are 8 quarter notes hence :
60 / 85 x 44100 x 8 = 249 035 samples

4 Likes

Wowser! so how do you trim exactly with so many samples?

Turn End (or Start) knob. :content:
Zoom in/out to change increments.

1 Like

So increments are samples?(again apologies) Im not sure what you mean by 250000 samples.

Very briefly:
In the digital realm, sound is represented in ‘samples’, which means a tiny, tiny bit of time represented by a value. Turns out that you need 2 of these values to accurately represent a frequency that is half as long (the same length as 1 value).

You’ve heard of 44.1k, 48k sample rate? These are not arbitrary numbers! 44100 samples = 44100 values per second. This is how your sound is represented digitally. 44100 samples let’s you accurately represent frequencies up to 22050 Hz, which is just over the threshold of human hearing (20Hz - 20000Hz).

When you’re trimming audio in the OT, below the waveform on the right there will be a big number. This is the length of your sample in samples (the terminology is confusing, but most of the time it’s understandable what is meant from context). If you zoom in enough on the waveform, you can change the length of your sample in individual samples. This is a pretty powerful ability, not easily accessible with a lot of other hardware or software.

It might be worth looking up some audio DSP (digital signal processing) tutorials on youtube if this stuff is all new to you. Good luck with your learning!

9 Likes

Im learning so much just reading what you’ve written. I will go through it a few times now. Thanksyou so much for your time and knowledge. I really do appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…and don’t be afraid of timestretching… :wink:

elastic audio remains a miracle…don’t miss out on the fun here…dare to mess around…

while yes…many things get way more easy if u really think in and therefor prepare ur own dedicated samplechains for further use and abuse in the ot upfront in ur daw…

2 Likes

I won’t. Im all for thinking outside the box stuff. Thats why i think its a gamechanger for musicians. Thanks! :slight_smile:

If i save the adjusted loop sample does it create a new sample in the audio pool or overwrite the existing one?

Edit. I think Save sample copy should work. Save sample settings is destructive. Correct me if i am incorrect please.

Save Sample Settings saves TRIM/SLICE/ATTRIBUTES settings in a .ot file.
Not destructive for the sample which remain the same.
SuperSample.wav
SuperSample.ot

If you want to save sample edit made in EDIT page : SAVE SAMPLE COPY, or SAVE AND ASSIGN. It overwrites existing sample if the name is the same (warning message).

SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS will save the trim, slice and attribute settings in a separate file and link it to the sample currently being edited. Next time the sample is loaded to a Flex or Static sample slot it will be loaded together with the saved sample settings.

SAVE SAMPLE COPY will save the complete sample to the Compact Flash card as a new file. Audio outside the trim section will also be included. Saving a sample automatically saves the sample settings as well. It is therefore not necessary to use the SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS operation right after the SAVE SAMPLE COPY operation to fully save all sample properties. This option is not available to Static samples.

SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE works just like the SAVE SAMPLE COPY command, but also assigns the new file either to the same sample slot, or to a free Flex or Static sample slot.

5 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It also helped me to remember subtleties! :content:

1 Like

Ive run into a problem which im sure is ridiculously simple if you know.
I set Scale mode as per track. Now my 4 bar loops are looping every 16 steps even though each track is set to 64/64 individually. What have i overlooked?

Ive reset it back to normal now despite having 4 pages they are stuck at a loop of 16(1 page) whereas before they were going the whole 4 pages before looping.

The page lights are going 1-4 but the samples are looping ever 16 steps.

This is weird. What have i done?

Master Length to 64, you may have it set to 16.

2 Likes

On per track it is set to 64(master). On normal i cant see an option to change it.