Sample Chains

Hi.
I tried to create a sample chain in Ableton with the single cycle samples in the new Immortal waves wav-files, but it really sounds like crap on the Octatrack. I dont know if I do it wrong maybe someone else could try?
I asked on Elektron facebook page and they said there would be no problem in using these wavs for other machines

Also, using the smallest grid in Ableton ,1/32 grid, for single cycle waveforms produces a file of 380kb, zooming in to an adaptive grid makes the file size smaller since it leaves a lot of silence out but i dont know if that may be the problem?

If someone who knows how to create a sample chain can create one from the free and downloadable immortalwaves pack for monomachine, Iā€™d be happy if it could be posted here. Then i can compare that to my sample chain and propably figure out what i did wrong. Thanks.
http://www.elektron.se/sites/default/files/products/files/monomachine_sound_pack_-_immortal_waves.zip

One of the great features are single waves on the octo. I havenā€™t made any sample chains recently, but why does it sound crap? Normally I just load single -up to 4 cycle waves in octo, then go to sample edit and loop it properly, hold down function edit and you should hear a continuous sample. When trigging youā€™ll need to set up hold and release for desired taste. Why donā€™t you try just one or two cycles to check it out.

I dont get near the sounds in the soundcloud demonstration of the Immortal waves pack, even after fiddling around for a long while with them.
I discovered the single cycle wavesforms after seeing Inpektor Gadjets videos and his brilliantly made single cycle wave forms sample chains and they sounded good, so I know how to use them.
But maybe the Monomachine processes the samples in some way. I dont have one and havent tried one either. That is after all the machine that sample pack was intended forā€¦?

I think you donā€™t want any silence in your single cycle sample chains.
Each slice needs to be a perfect loop for the single cycle wave form to sound right.

When you drag the single cycle wav files into Abletonā€™ arrange page, make sure the grid in Live is set to off, then the files will automatically join together with no silent spaces. :wink:

The problem though is that each single cycle wav is a different length (I think!). Iā€™m not sure how other people deal with this for single cycle chains. ??

All the samples in the Immortal Waves pack are the same length so should align to each other perfectly in Abletonton Live. Have you created a Slice Grid in the OT of the appropriate number of slices? - 64 for all the Immortal Waves samples.

good to knowā€¦ I havenā€™t chained these yet, just downloaded 'em yesterday or something :slight_smile:
Other single cycle collections Iā€™ve seen have been varying lengths.

I guess that makes sense, the fact that when I created them on a grid the silence between them also are included in each slice in tehe octatrack.
Adding silece to a really fast loop will of course turn that sound on and of everytime the loop passes that silence. Gotta go home and try cook up a new chain. Thanks for input. Now things cleared up :slight_smile:

sorry to bump this thread, but I think itā€™s probably the most appropiate place.

Iā€™ve been thinking about making my own sample chains - so far Iā€™ve only used some made by other people (found online and such); but I usually end up scrolling through slices without finding much I likeā€¦ I realized that I end up using only a few, or just going with one-shot samples.

Iā€™ve also been thinking that instead of making chains of a certain sound (BD, SD, CL, etc.) I might arrange them by hardware (64 slices of 808 sounds / LinnDrum, Vermona, 909, etc.)

does any of you arrange them this way?

I know it might not make as much sense, but it might help my worflow somehowā€¦ the problem with arranging them by sound is that I might not recognize what hardware they belong to - not that is necessary ; I can just trust my ears and pick whatever sounds right - but Iā€™ve been thinking about working within the boundaries of a certain palette might be a good way to get more familiarized with each machineā€™s signature sound, while also having a certain homogenic feeling, and modifying it onwards from there.

Iā€™m about to start a set from scratch so I want to give this a good thoughtā€¦

the length of the samples would be an issue here. I thought of making, for example, a 64-slice chain for 808 samples, but keeping long BDā€™s appart (as a short chain or a few one-shots)

any thoughts on this?