Sample chains from external synthesizers

Here’s a little project with patterns I used for playing chords and scales on external synthesizers and sampling them to build sample chains. I included also some sample chains I recorded from Korg Prologue using this. The files are available here: https://filebin.net/tr0qt629m0r6q18r

All patterns play a sequence of 16 notes or chords via MIDI and record to recording buffer 1 from A B (a total of 60 seconds each pattern).

I think the most useful ones are A02 (the mayor scale, going from C3 to D5), A05 (C major triads from C3 to D5), A06 (first inversions of C major triads) and A07 (second inversions). Hope I didn’t make any mistake, please review the sequences if you want to use it.

A01 was my first attempt, they are all chords rooted in C, but I think the approach of sampling all the triads in a given scale is more useful. However, I can’t at the moment make new sample chains for the Prologue because I’m still stranded away from home (missing my Prologue).

It would be cool to collaborate. Maybe you can use this to sample your favorite patches from your favorite synth and share with the rest of us :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I made SCW chains of my OB-6’s raw oscillators a while back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiw2ojav9n9tz51/ob-6_vco1_pwm%20C4%20[128].wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/taain2mcdkwvcgi/ob-6_vco2_shapes%20C4%20[128].wav?dl=0

They’re 128 cycles each, so to get the best out of them stay out of the regular slice mode, set ‘LEN’ to 1 and use the ‘STRT’ parameter to sweep through. You’ll have to set your own envelopes/filters etc. The idea was versatility and a tiny footprint (65kb per chain!).

One is a PWM sweep and the other one’s a variable-shape oscillator, morphing from triangle, through saw, to pulse wave. They’re basically wavetables of knob turns.

Both are tuned to C4, which means you can get as high as C5. To drop octaves, halve the rate.

14 Likes

these are all great, thanks for sharing @lucianon !
and @colonel_mustard in the library, with the OB-6 :nerd_face:

2 Likes

…nice…big hug and thanx for sharing…

1 Like

Can I ask what was your process to extract 128 cycles and the reason of this choice ?

I did it manually.

I used a DAW (Reason) to automate the knobs, and record one note for each CC value, all in a long chain. Then exported the long file to Ocenaudio, extracted the left channel and chopped out zero-cross 169-frame slices for each note, saving them as 000, 001, 002 etc. (I’ve got the muscle memory, so it didn’t take too long). Then stitched them together with Octachainer, checked that everything looked ok back in Ocenaudio, and normalised to -1dB.

128 is the number of CC intervals on the synth, and the number of parameter increments on the OT, so it just made sense to keep that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Can anyone provide a link for the OPs sample chain OT project plz? Going to a mates studio that has a Korg Polysix and wana grab some gold :panda:

Here ya go!

lucianon_scales_and_chords.zip (108.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks a million :blush:

Great, hope you find it useful. I’ve been stranded away from home since February with my OT but no synths so I haven’t had the chance to use it, and I made a couple of changes that I couldn’t test… so let me know if you find any problem, like an incorrect note somewhere.

Also, it’s quite easy to do this, just a little tedious to program… but you might want to make new patterns for your own scales or other chord sequences.

I was thinking about making my own to suit the chords I tend to use more often!

I did notice there were a few duplicated patterns/blank patterns. I can’t remember off the top of my head which ones they were specifically.

I’ll report back with my own project and maybe even some samples of my Peak :slight_smile:

1 Like