Sample accurate audio editor for Mac?

The sample editor in Logic is getting a little long in the tooth. And while I appreciate Audacity, it’s UI is a mess and its focus on multi-file projects rather than individual PCM files is an unnecessary complication to independent wav editing.

Is there some sample-accurate audio editor on the Mac (preferably stand-alone) that I’m missing out on? It doesn’t need to be free. I’d be willing to pay a pretty big chunk of change for a nice one.

2 Likes

I use Ocenaudio (at least when I’m not working in Renoise, which has integrated my favorite audio editor).

5 Likes

Twisted Wave.
Ocean Audio.
Fission.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Woah! I’d never heard of this but it’s amazing. Very responsive, lots of sample rate and channel tweaking functions. Useful spectrogram and a nice little FFT calculator (with all the windowing options one could want). And such great screen shot/visualization options! I can’t believe it’s free. Going to donate right now.

Twisted Wave is interesting. But seems like ocenaudio does all that and more. And has the better UI. Given the $100/year price tag, maybe I’m missing something though?

I do love Fission, and use it all the time — particularly on lossy files. But it doesn’t really let you get down to the sample level for anything.

i use DSP Quattro… have owned it forever. also, iced audio “audio finder” is great for certain tasks. I downloaded OceanAudio editor a while ago. works great for me here on apple silicon. and free. kinda no brainer.

4 Likes

Maybe not advanced enough for some, but I absolutely love Renoise for just straight up audio editing.

2 Likes

Ocenaudio :heart:

(It reminds me of the golden days of Soundforge)

1 Like

I loved Sound Forge in the old Sonic Foundry days too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been a long time Amadeus Pro user.

1 Like

I like Acoustica, the first audio editor since the old Soundforge that I clicked with (the sample editor in Renoise is nice too).

2 Likes

The screen shots on the website show a feature I’m unclear about. Blocks of audio on the timeline seem to have a gradient/shadow at the start and end. Is that meaningful, or visual fluff?

I actually don’t know. I don’t use it in multitrack mode like that so it’s not something I’ve seen before.

Fair enough :+1:t2: