Sam Prekop

Anyone digging this guy’s recent releases? “The Sparrow” and “Sons Of” are both two of my favorite recent albums. I like that he is using modular in a way that expresses real movement, form and emotion in the music while also being at least vaguely danceable…and not just the typical ambient noodling mush.

Anyone know what gear he is using? Also any recommendations in a similar vein?

12 Likes

“Sons Of” is him and John McEntire of Tortoise/The Sea and Cake; I believe John handles the percussive elements and Sam does the rest. but I agree, and I really love what he’s doing as well. it’s been fun to watch his progression from his first modular releases, which were far more noodly and less melodic.

gear-wise, just check out his IG. he posts jams there almost daily.

https://www.instagram.com/prekopcomma/

5 Likes

Love his jams and wish I caught him on this most recent tour. A Yellow Robe is a hell of a song/jam.

1 Like

Yes, I really like what he does.
Bought myself Saturday Sunday last June, I’ve listened to it countless times.

2 Likes

I don’t know about his modular stuff, but that first self titled “solo” album is easily on my deserted island list. Such beautiful, buttery guitar work, and Chad Taylor’s drumming is a soft understatement the whole way through.

7 Likes

Sam Prekop is somebody I adore . But pretty much up to and not including his Modular stuff … it’s good, but a world away from his voice and guitar work. The sea and cake are one of my favourite bands, Sam has a unique voice. I don’t have some of the later stuff, it’s probably good for its genre, but it doesn’t reach me like his earlier stuff. it’s absolutely great that he has a new fan base … never understood a word he sang, I love Sam so had to chip in even though I haven’t been collecting his new material. Saw him live many a time and it was always a joy … bought a Tele a week after watching him and Archer do a duo thing in Edinburgh.

7 Likes

I’ll definitely check his former work. Saturday Sunday has been one of my favorite records from 2022.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I spotted a Dreadbox Nymphes by the side of his modular rig in one of the photos.

yeah I think he said he bought that so he could get some poly analog sounds in a live set, without having to gig with the Prophet 5. he’s got some Elektron gear too. uses a Digitakt a lot and I’ve spotted a Monomachine in the background.

100% agreed. I love those two records. saw him with that band (including Chad Taylor, who I also love) after the second one came out, at the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh. way back in…2005 I think?

3 Likes

There’s some Analog Rytm & Syntakt

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cna7S5uL-Z3/

3 Likes

Opened for him a couple years ago where he did some synth stuff, then he and Archer played some Sea and Cake songs which was a nice way to do a bit of it all. Really nice dude. I was going to point you to his Instagram because it’s actually very gear-centric and he isn’t shy about sharing.

If you’re curious about his tools, that’s the best spot to go.

4 Likes

oh man… when it comes to John McEntire you should just say any synth ever made is potentially on there.

I forgot about both of them and their bands, then heard the recent Sons Of lp and got into it. Weirdly just a few minutes ago - before I read this - I decided to try using some of the tracks as reference EQ

1 Like

kinda excited by the duo with McEntire, but it didn’t grab me in the performance videos (not that engaging despite being a superfan of both) even with the :3lektron: gear in shot - but that Jeff Parker track they linked to is channelling my vibe sweetly, that has me excited, hunting this right now

back to Sam (sorry OP for banging on about his voice) - this guest vocal here which is only an intermittent but distinctive part of the track (and low in the Mix) still cuts through and totally makes it for me, it’s like nectar, it melts me - great track anyway (didn’t know until reading the credits McEntire guests on this too)

Forgiveness Rock Record is a great collaborative hotch-potch album

Gotta drop in some Sam from his first solo record which is sublime …

Only a bit of his voice here, but classic prekop

i always respect an artist’s desire to move in different directions but this is in another league even though we mostly come here for the ‘synth’ banter

2 Likes

No voice on these, but still bursting with life and soul …

Channelling some Sea and Cake energy here …

i mean, come on …

get outta here …

His first solo album is arguably the career high (and why the later stuff isn’t reaching me the same) and certainly one of the best albums folk haven’t had the fortune to encounter, it’s not under-rated by anyone who hears it, it’s the perfect package …

3 Likes

This is excellent (shame it’s digital only), and digging further into his recent stuff there are clearly more gems i have basically overlooked - might have to give the Sons Of a few listens more to break through the expectations barrier i still have there

1 Like

I prefer the last album, but yes, Saturday Sunday is a gem!

1 Like

I don’t want to drift off topic too much cuz Sam Prekop (Sea and Cake, and current modular era) is great, but I’ve been loving the latest Jeff Parker album. Definitely one of my top three favorite albums of last year. It’s the kind of thing that makes me wish I knew how to play the guitar.

1 Like

I remember playing guitar in a band that opened for Isotope 217 way back when they were a thing. I think I was 21 and he was very complimentary of my playing after our set and his voice just…sounded like ‘if jazz could talk’ ha. (EDIT to clarify: Not that he was ‘speaking for jazz’ but that he just sounded smooth and jazzy in his tone and delivery :eyes:) It was a very special little moment since I adored all those bands back then. I haven’t really kept up as well with his work, but the hit to miss ratio on International Anthem is about as high as any label can get, as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

Podular Modcast podcast has two episodes that include gear chat interviews with Sam Prekop:

• episode 121 (September 2020) with Sam Prekop
  • episode 235 (January 2023) with John McEntire and Sam Prekop

Listen here:
https://podularmodcast.fireside.fm/search?utf8=✓&term=prekop

6 Likes