Ryzen 5 5500u processor for Ableton Live?

My 10 year old i7 is not longer cutting it when using Ableton Live 11, so I’m thinking of upgrading.
There’s a good Black Friday deal on a Ryzen 5 5500u laptop with 16gb of Ram and Ssd drive, I was wondering if anyone here is using this particular processor with Ableton Live?
I’ve never had an AMD processor before so I’m not sure how good are them for audio tasks.

Hi,

I don’t use a DAW or this processor (I have AMD, though) and am no expert but I believe you shouldn’t have a problem running Ableton on this or any other recent multi-core system.

Until recently, I had a Lenovo Thinkpad T14 with this processor (I switched back to MacOS though), 32 Gigs ram running windows 10.

My experience with Ableton 11 was not great. Constant CPU overload problems (glitching, delay, audio dropping out). However, since this is a very well known issue, I think it had more to do with Live 11 being in early development (10 worked way better) than with the processor per se. Last time I checked was 2 months ago, so I can’t speak on any updates.

What I can say is that the MacBook Air M1 (2020) blows it out of the water on all fronts. Ableton 11 runs very smoothly - even under Rosetta - and I have not had any CPU overload problems whatsoever.

1 Like

These days when I spec a computer, I use Geek bench. It will give you an idea of what you are getting and help you compare your new machine to the old one. Another thing about new multi core processors- most new DAWs use one core per track, so the “single core” benchmark is pretty important.
Here is the geekbench score for the Ryzen 5 you are looking at.
https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/amd-ryzen-5-5500u