RYTM Weird Amp Env behavior

So, I got some single cycle waveforms to try and do some simple synthesis on the AR (some sfx zaps, stabs, basslines, maybe some simple pads) but I’m finding the amp envelope on the AR behaves MUCH differently from the one on the A4. I realize cause it’s a AHD not a ADSR, but I’m getting a weird effect when I’m trying to do some resonant bass stabs (you know, the kind with the filter down and the envelope follow up with a high resonance and the sustain and release off on the filter env with the decay low). It’s not punching the way the A4 does. Is there a reason for this? Am I doing it wrong?

Not sure. In general people are disappointed with the amp envelope…try using the LFO exponential wave instead of the amp envelope.

2 Likes

Remember that the length setting in the trig menu greatly affects how the envelopes behave. I actually find the envelopes ok for all types of sounds except punchy percussion. The filter envelope is basically the only envelope I use when making percussion sounds. I end up using my only LFO as my amp envelope, and I still think it is not ideal. There’s actually an envelope model from the A4 I wish would just get implemented into the RYTM.

It’s kind of ridiculous that a convoluted way to remove the “Legacy effects” setting every time a kit is created has been implemented, but the flawed envelopes remain flawed after all this time.

1 Like

Huh?

Huh?[/quote]
With the last OS released, the RYTM has a setting under sound that allows you to turn “Legacy Effects” mode off, which basically makes the reverb and delay effects sound more prominent. I end up going to this setting, and turning it off every time I create a new kit. Elektron went through all the effort to implement this feature, but hasn’t done anything to improve the envelopes.

1 Like

Ahh yeah. That’s more of a levels issue though, whereas getting a snappier envelope is more hardware dependent…I might be wrong though!

1 Like

What about pads? Any tips for coaxing pads out of single cycle waveforms using these envelopes?

It’s not about the envelope being snappier. It just needs to restart when you hit a pad instead of being forced to complete its hold/decay stage.

I am totally puzzled as to why the design of the Rytm doesn’t allow for the amp envelope to be started like the filter envelope or the LFO can be. Oh well.

2 Likes

So then my issue would be resolved if they had a reset option for the amp envelope. Makes sense.

1 Like

Yep, just like on the A4… This is one of my bigges tgripes about the Rytm.

1 Like

I agree with that.

What annoys me most is that this retrig effect is worsened when you use two of the choking machines.

I agree entirely. The amp envelope is just silly the way it’s setup. Like Prints said, I pretty much ignore it entirely, and it’s just crazy to say that about a synthesizer.

I really really hope they fix this in the next update…whenever that is.
If I end up hearing that the amp envelope can’t be fixed/changed due to the Rytm’s “hardware limitations” I’m gonna throw this thing out the window!

1 Like

+1 for resettable envelopes

3 Likes

I find the amp envelope useful in its attack portion, and it is handy for creating more staccato type sounds with short hold and decay but…yes…it’s not perfect by any means. Still usable though.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that the amp env is the area where the rytm could use some new love the most. At least give us env retrig like with the filter env. But even cooler would be to have choice between different amp env modes (linear/exponential etc).

As for what is realistically possible due to hardware limitations, only elektron knows. I believe their intent was to creata as flexible amp env as possible, but ironically enough, this resulted in a design that was not ideal for drum synthesis.

But, speaking of trig lenght, does it actually have any other effect than defining the hold stage lenght if hold set to AUTO? IIRC I have experimented with the trig lenght settings and could not discern a noticeable difference…

No love for amp env here either. Dreaming about the day when it becomes powerful as the filter env. :pray:

2 Likes

yeah not a whole lot of luck here using it something like the clap or snare