Rytm tips and tricks

I don’t know if anyone needs to know this but the sequencer records live with swing active. So if you turn swing off/reduced it can get interesting.

1 Like

Can you expand a bit on this? I thought swing was a non destructive thing.

It’s kind of like reverse swing. You live record (grid sequencing doesn’t affect) with swing active. Then reduce swing upon playback.

Or in another way : live recording at 60% swing will give you -10% swing to use.

3 Likes

TRIG SCENES

I’m sequencing my rytm with the arturia beatstep pro and I tried to check if parameter locks work while my dual vco track is trigged by this external sequencer. They don’t work. In fact every internal sequencer data is ignored while receiving midi on that track (at least on the same steps).
BUT!!! something else is happening which for me is an incredible feature:

The trigless parameter locks that I’ve set become active for the whole running track when I hold down the step. <<

That means that every track that is sequenced by some other gear could have 16 additional scenes. Every one of them can be used TOGETHER with one of the regular scenes and is furthermore subject to one or several performances and/or velocity modulation.

Ok we need to confirm is this is due to a special Beatstep behaviour or if it works with other sequencers, too. I think it could even be a reason to get a Beatstep…

EDIT: The behaviour is independent from the selected track. So if you parameter lock step 1 on track 2 and 3 (which are both sequenced externally) and then press it down both “trig scenes” become active. I think this is even more useful.

3 Likes

So if I understand this correctly, if you sequence a track externally you can hold any P-Lock on that track and the values from that P-Lock will be heard, even though the sequencer is not on that step?

yeah - i’ve been using this for years on the A4 mainly - it’s like presets when you play externally - very creative (albeit at the price of a hand)

2 Likes

Do the values glide or do they go immediately to those values when the step is held?

So if I understand this correctly, if you sequence a track externally you can hold any P-Lock on that track and the values from that P-Lock will be heard, even though the sequencer is not on that step?

yes

Do the values glide or do they go immediately to those values when the step is held?

immediately

2 Likes

Sounds really handy now that I think of it. And easy to do with the trinity now that we have midi out from all machines!

Ok thanks, something really interesting to try.
I can hold the 16 trigs without hands (wood+clamp).
So you mean holden trigs will affect all plocks of all tracks?

TIme to solder switches on all trigs? :smile:

Why? Just midi notes ?
Should even work with AR only, midi loopback.

It’s just one “sequencer scene” at a time. Every one activating all parameter locks of other externally sequenced tracks that are on the same step.

1 Like

Yes, realised that, just the lowest trig pressed apparently (if you press trigs 3 and 5, only 3 is active).
It works with midi loopback, setting right midi channels. I sequenced track 1 and 2 with track 3, all set to channel 3. Should work with any incoming midi notes.

Another surprising hack, thanks again for sharing!

Apparently these “trig scenes” are not active anymore when you release Perf.

1 Like

I tried plock filter steps on the A4 right now with midi notes triggered from ableton
and works no problem without holding down steps ?
just had to move step microtime + a bit and open the step length…
Maybe I’m miss understanding

a real shame the Retrig - [TRACK] sustain trick was removed.

1 Like

realistic high hat sample tip - in track settings switch on velocity to vol on, in velocity mod apply a positive value to the sample decay time. Make sure the amp hold is set to 1 and the decay is short too (13 or less). Then adjust to taste and finger drumming style. Alternatively set the LFO to modulate the decay time (or attack time works too). Make sure the first trig is set to p-locked to mod trig (otherwise the lfo running free does not give predictable performance, because it’s running free)

(loads of folks must know this one for sure, but it’s new to me).

Results are not going to replace drummers but it’s a million times better than static sample high hats.

5 Likes

new user looking for shortcuts/tips on how to do basic functions easier

for example: is there a combo for Quick Save function?

Quick save (on MK2) is Yes plus one of the main buttons. For example the one with Kit underneath.

3 Likes

There’s a list with all shortcuts in the manual, just in case you’ve missed it.

*Edit in the mk1 pdf manual it’s page 67 and mk2 pdf manual it’s page 71.

9 Likes

Ghetto slice playing with the new 1.60 firmware:
The aforementioned “trig scene” tip works great as a way to live play sample slices from the rytm! (requires two hands but better than nothing! :raised_hands:)

1. Add trigless trig to step one, p-lock to taste (sample position + trig len + whatever else your dirty mind may be thinking)
  2. Do the same on trig 2, 3, …
  3. Hold trig + yes with step recording active to play the step and become the new velocity-less finger-drumming kung-fu master.
2 Likes

I wish they had made it yes+trig instead of trig +yes!!!
You could really “play” it then rather than risking losing all ur plocks by accidentally letting go too soon ;p

9 Likes