Rytm Pad LED Bug?

So, I just noticed something happening in a project I’m working on, and couldn’t find any information on the issue using the search function, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Seems like it might be a bug; the pads randomly change brightness as the pattern progresses, almost as if an LFO was modulating the pad brightness? They go to normal brightness for about 25% of the time, else they stay rather dim. Switching into Mute mode, they appear normally for 25% of the time, and then don’t light up at all as sounds play (remain fully green). This doesn’t affect sound/performance obviously, but is slightly irritating.

A restart did NOT fix the issue, however it doesn’t occur in other projects. This one is extremely sample heavy - almost all pads have a sample in them, and 9 of them have analog engines running too. Also, there’s an LFO active on the FX track and a LOT of P-Locks.

I noticed this happening after being in FX edit mode while still having Mute mode active, sometime while/after changing FX pattern length to something other than the master length via advanced mode, plus plenty of P-Locked parameters on reverb settings on each step.

Am I just throwing too much at it and it’s not keeping up? I’m thinking that might be it since this project is taking about 2-3x as long to load/save as other ones…

Little instagram clip of this happening, if that’s of any help:

http://instagram.com/p/zCI5E1koX6

Really just curious if this is an OS bug, or I botched something I didn’t know about, or if my Rytm is having an aneurysm… (which would be irritating to say the least)

1 Like

The pad leds are reflecting the amp out volume on that particular channel so if you’re modulating the sound, the brightness might reflect that if sound volume is affected. I cannot seem to see anything strange with your video.

It’s ghostly remnants of the sound tail, just kill the decay I think, I agree it’s often disconcerting as you think there’s nothing that should be happening there. I think the threshold for illumination needs to be raised a tiny bit

I’m aware how the LEDs react to volume - that’s obviously not it as you can tell from the sound in the clip playing along …

Nothing is modulating volume in this, and velocities are all upwards of 50ish so this shouldn’t be happening (and didn’t, until the moment I described)

edit: not decay either. most of these sounds are shorter than 1/16th or 1/8th depending on type

Are you in song or chain mode? If so could be nested mutes!

i was unable to watch the clip til now, so my bad, but the flickering lights, well well well after the trig has passed and long after the sound can be heard get me distracted
yep - that looks odd

neither - just a single 4-bar pattern looping. its obviously not mutes since the sound is continuing to play.
For anyone else: there are NO AUDIO ISSUES, the pads are repeating the same sound over and over, but are lighting differently. It’s exclusively an LED issue as far as I can tell since this project is no different from any other project I’ve started on the AR.
Even if I reduce the pattern length to 1/16 just looping the same trigger, the pad brightness changes randomly.

Yeah I too have only just seen the clip. The activity looks ok it’s the lack of it I find disconcerting!

That’s exactly it :confused:

My machine shows consist trig hits & tails, your mute page is static at times.
I would have suspected a component fault over a bug but you say other projects are unaffected?

As a matter of interest, try disabling the LFO on the FX track & see if it makes any difference.
I shall ponder this…

1 Like

Okay, was able to revert the problem in the project, and reproduce it (in other projects too):

was caused by P-Locks on the FX track. Pattern length and LFO had no influence on it, however once any P-Locks were placed on the FX track, the LED behavior became erratic and completely unpredictable. Fairly certain this must be a bug since even P-Locking parameters that had no effect at all on the sound were causing this (say, LFO speed without the LFO being assigned to anything)

Seeing if some friends can reproduce this or if it’s just my unit - perhaps someone here can verify?

Guess I must have never delved into automating FX params so far, irritating now though because I’m quite liking the results of it…

1 Like

Had a feeling the FX track was involved somehow. I’ll take a look this evening & see if I can replicate it.
Glad you got to the bottom of it :slight_smile:

I just had the same problem.
Removing the FX track trigs worked.
THANK YOU it was very annoying not having the background lights in MUTE mode !

1 Like

This happened to me once too, It was weird, nice to have the reason why.

1 Like

Thank you for this thread. I was having the same issue.

1 Like