Rytm OS 1.32 speculation

I guess with the rytm mkii announcement that OS upgrade should be right before the mkii launch.

1 Like

All I want is the sequencer to send MIDI out. I’m annoyed that when I come up with a beat on the Rytm sequencer and then go to use it in production, I have to manually re-enter all the MIDI notes in Ableton/Logic where a simple MIDI record would be extremely handy. I’ve asked Elektron about this in the past and they have said that their sequencer doesn’t record with MIDI protocol, that they’ve designed their own protocol for the sequencer data and that converting it to MIDI won’t be possible with the current firmware limitations. I don’t understand why you would innovate your own protocol and to be honest I’m not really buying it.

1 Like

the question is why would the protocol be different between the Digitakt and the Rytm. I don’t buy it either. But it is what it is. Lets accept it and make our decisions from there

2 Likes

might have something to do with the analog circuitry perhaps? as in, you cannot feed a few bits of MIDI data to an analog osc and expect it to understand it… Whereas with a 100% digital box, easy peasy.

1 Like

If you ‘don’t understand’ then you can make more of an effort to browse the evidence, or just think it through without the fog of your bias/preference … use a different starting point

The internal sequencer workings [may be] structured around the way it needs to be to support the analog control on the CV side and no doubt it makes more sense when dealing with the control of the voice circuits

Peddling these lazy conspiracy overtones is really unpleasant and unhelpful because it sustains this entitled narrative. It’s been openly and officially refuted to not be a trivial matter and it most certainly is not a sales/conspiracy issue

Accusing anyone of being dishonest/disingenuous is actually not something which sits especially well with the guidelines, we wish the community would be a little more considered in these types of discussions.

8 Likes

On the Analog Rytm, Keys/A4 it’s only the voice signal path that is analog. The sequencer, effects and OS are all digital.

Innovation is generally a response to limitation, and the MIDI protocol is indeed limited.

1 Like

yeah but I doubt the analog circuits are receiving MIDI internally. More like digitally controlled CV

1 Like

Yep - via a controller device (or set of devices).

Didn’t you say the same about A4/AR MIDI sequencing before mk2 were announced? Why did they leave it out again from mk2 if not to secure sales of their other units?

1 Like

Oh come on, the whole sales thing is illogical, they don’t run a monopoly. People elect to not buy the A4 on the grounds that it doesn’t MIDI seq … wouldn’t a better sales strategy be to add it !

Leave it out is the wrong way to phrase it

It’s not part of the Miki for the very same reason it wasn’t a given on the MKi, the MKii is basically the same as the MKi with a tweak and a few extra bells’n’whistles in terms of software. They haven’t done anything too deep

It doesn’t matter if we all don’t see it the same way, but if the conspiracy theories get traction it gets difficult to stop them self-perpetuating, like myths about OT developers etc.

5 Likes

That’s fantasy thinking (instead of actually looking how things are in reality).
The sequencer (which is fully digital) contains all the information needed to send out a midi note.
Midi won’t be able to handle all p-lock stuff, but midi notes out should be pretty trivial if you’re talking about getting the right information from the sequencer.
You may not have noticed but the note and velocity information are already there, ready to be used for anything besides driving internal cv’s.

There is no issue with their ‘internal protocol’ or whatnot. That is complete hogwash.

1 Like

What are the chances of internal re-sampling on the MK1’s?

1 Like

Nil - that’s my semi-educated guess

3 Likes

Big! (fingers crossed) :blush:

1 Like

My rytm freezes up all the time, hope that gets fixed at least. Very annoying

Seems unlikely that is the OS, I would be having someone check the hardware.

It’s brand new, I have a feeling it does this when connected to overbridge, not sure, still digging for a quantifiable bug.

EDIT, nope, not overbridge, just froze on me while playing around, have it on bad quality video :slight_smile:

also, feature wise, if at all possible, I would love a function to limit play to a page of choice only instead of the whole pattern.
When editing I always have to listen to the whole thing over and over which especially for slow tracks can get rather dull

5 Likes

Not according to Elektron elsewhere on these pages. Anyway, the notion that it’s a simple fix has been thoroughly debunked. I guess the point they’re making is that it’s all too easy when you’re a backseat driver without the facts to lazily state ‘it’s trivial, so why withhold it’ [quote=“omatic, post:54, topic:40062”]
You may not have noticed but the note and velocity information are already there
[/quote]

That does not have anything to do with the sequencer, it’s coming from the internal keyboard, the sequencer does not store its info in a MIDI-centric standard, they can’t just drop old code in to fix this should they even wish to.

Anyway, Elektron have stated it is most certainly not a trivial matter … that’s the important bit wrt setting users’ expectations appropriately

My only fantasy wrt this place is that people may one day be more civil

4 Likes