RYTM needs better Hihat Machines

[/quote]
I wasnt calling him stupid, i was stating that its stupid to assume they wont update the machine with more stuff.
I am Derek Reed… if you dont get it you dont get it.[/quote]
that’s still calling him stupid in my book, and lets not forget your “pointless” remark, especially as it was his first post on this forum,
puts him on the back foot and you saw his response, being apologetic when he had no reason to

maybe he had no idea that Elektron support and upgrade over longer periods than most
not a way to welcome new members, of that I’m sure most here would agree

get what? whats to get? you hate yourself? with those sort of posts I can understand that.
chill out on the ar threads you don’t like the content of.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with the Hats and the Cymbal machines. They just don’t sound good and really, really, really lack parameters.

The MFB Tanzbar has better cymbals and the AR is leagues above, so… it’s just… sad.

I’m sure they’ll keep going, but I was very surprised to see how little attention was giving to these sounds. The cowbell could be included as well.

I also agree about the snares. I’m not completely satisfied there. Fortunately, samples fix that. But, it would still be nice to nail down an analog snare when I want one.

1 Like

i am also a little disappointed in the hi hats, and cast another vote for improvement on the analog snare. i can get a satisfactory result if i layer in a sample, but it’s hard to get a sharp, cutting, meaty snare with the analog engine alone and i almost always have to overdrive it as well. i’m hoping that will improve with more time with the machine and updates.

1 Like

I can’t get enough variation from the hats.

I’m using samples.

It would be nice to have more flexibility/

1 Like

For me, the closed hi-hat works great. As for the open hi-hat and ride cymbals, I always use samples.

1 Like

To be fair, when I owned a Tanzbar, I was not a fan of its snare. Jomox has a lousy snare as well. It must be really difficult to make a good analog snare because it seems that only Roland can make nice sounding analog snares.

As far as hihat sounds, I think that this goes back to the envelope (this probably affects all the sounds; snare included). The curve on it is not suitable for percussion. It needs to be able to control transients better, and add pop if needed. It should really behave more like an envelope/transient shaper. There should be multiple envelope types, and there should be one controlling the sample separately from the analog+sample voice… that way, samples can be shaped into transients.

1 Like

well said.

To be fair, when I owned a Tanzbar, I was not a fan of its snare. Jomox has a lousy snare as well. It must be really difficult to make a good analog snare because it seems that only Roland can make nice sounding analog snares.

As far as hihat sounds, I think that this goes back to the envelope (this probably affects all the sounds; snare included). The curve on it is not suitable for percussion. It needs to be able to control transients better, and add pop if needed. It should really behave more like an envelope/transient shaper. There should be multiple envelope types, and there should be one controlling the sample separately from the analog+sample voice… that way, samples can be shaped into transients.

separate ENV for sample voice seems to be missing.

yeah, jomox snare is lousy (xbase & airbase). only 808 and 606 have an analog snare I really like.
matter of taste in the end.

I too have the impression the VCA env (if its an analog envelope) does not feel like a punchy, quick analog envelope

i personally like the hats (open and closed). the hats and snare surprised me as i’m really picky about those and have an airbase and 808 to compare them to. they sit well in tracks for me.

1 Like

I wish the hats had more variables on the synthesis engine. There really isnt a lot to change. I also feel the clap could use some help. Even though the synth section is filled with parameters I dont find changing them does that much to get interesting sounds.

2 Likes

I have found the hats very underwhelming as well. The only real parameter is the color parameter, and any setting othe than the default makes them sound really really ugly and peaky in a bad way (for my taste of course, mileage may vary). The cymbal and cowbell machines have been sample slots, as I absolutely loathe the sound of them. But again, it comes down to personal preference.
It would be good to see Elektron innovate when the introduce new machines. The MD’s EFM HH is miles ahead of the AR’s HH, let’s get this sorted !!

1 Like

It’s 2020 and the hat engines are still shite. :persevere:

3 Likes

I like them, since the initial post they have been updated with extra machines BTW.

I guess it depends what type of hihats you are after, but I think that between the dedicated hihat machines and the noise machine most analog hihat sounds can be created quite well now.

2 Likes

Agreed. Noise is a powerful tool.

6 Likes

what bugs me about the current machines is the lack of tweakability. would love some more parametrisations of internal values even if it would make the sound less hihat-y!

What you are asking for is called Machinedrum.

4 Likes

Man… one thing that has improved since the original post is the difference good moderators make to the tone of the forum…maybe they were sleeping in 2014…

The 2014 posts read like Twitter fights, there’s some seriously offensive wtf comments being bantered about if you scroll up…:rofl:

8 Likes

I agree. It took me awhile to realize it though. The peak filter really helps imo too. I would love a few more parameters though.

1 Like

In what way does the peak filter help?

Thanks, I’ll give the noise machines more time

1 Like

Cuts out unwanted stuff and makes the resonant frequency sing. (Also a few samples thrown in there, but mostly just normal hats).

Here’re a few takes of hats straight out of the box recorded to stereo for a new project. Music is DN.

2 Likes