RYTM needs better Hihat Machines

My first post on this forum. So hi to everyone!

I got my Rytm last week and overall I am really happy with it . It is a fantastic drum machine both sound and sequencer wise.

One of the very few points I am little disappointed with though is the sound and flexibility of the Hihat “classic” machines.

The basic sound of the hihat machine is not great in my opinion. To me it sounds thin, metallic and lacks the “richness” of other classic analog drum machines like the 808, Jomox Airbase or even an MFB522. Unfortunately there are also only 3 parameters to alter the sound: Tune, Decay and Noise Color. Not enough to fundamentally change the sound of the HH.

Therefore I would love to see that Elektron adds new machines or parameters for shaping hihats with future updates E.g. a simple noise generator with a dedicated Attack-Hold-Decay Envelope generator would be fantastic.

How do feel about it? Happy with the Hihat Classic Machines or want more options?

2 Likes

IMHO the hihats sound a lot better on the AR than on my 522. I’ve always hated the 522 hihats myself and was very pleased to find that the Hihats on the AR don’t sound the same. The hihats on the 522, while sounding ok in isolation, have a strange envelope and tone to them, they always sound too relaxed somehow (ie. not good for beats where aggressive hihats are required like techno bass, footwork, dirty south etc) without extra processing…

It’s also interesting that you mention the hihats being tough to get sounding decent - I have exactly the same problem with kicks (522 kick is nearly impossible to match with the AR) and snares myself (again, the 522 snare detail and snap, I cannot get that outta the AR). So perhaps a matter of personal opinion… FWIW I like the hihat and cymbal engines on the AR the most as far as pure sound is concerned.

Plenty of ways to make hihat sounds on the AR btw, and sampled hihats sound ace with a lil shaping!

3 Likes

I think the snares bother me the most.

8 Likes

Are you also having probs in getting the attack component of a snare sound snap pleasingly?

1 Like

More please! Compared to the comparative plethora of hihat machines on the machinedrum this starts to become a real problem for me.

More hihat machines, please!

2 Likes

No offense, but i think it’s pretty stupid to assume that they won’t be adding more engines. I would assume that within the first year or two we will likely have 2-3 engines per drum type.

Maybe the classic needs work, but likely not as the next machine will cover different bases.

Also: complaining that you can’t emulate other machines with the ar is pointless. The ar is the ar and not other drum machines. On the flip side: id love to see other drum machines try to emulate some of the insane shit that the ar can do.

1 Like

YES ! We need more machines !!
And for all the instruments !

Sounds good. I hope so.
Meanwhile, I wish the clap was more versatile.

1 Like

I am not trying to compare as such, I should rephrase my meaning, it’s more about certain qualities of sound that I find so far unattainable with the AR. The attack part I find difficult I suppose, YMWW.

plenty offensive actually replying to someones first post by saying hes stupid for asking for something more than 3 parameters

so they will add new machines?

will your rabid fanboism guarantee that?

i’ll eat crow but will you?

whos derek reed that you need to use that type board name in public for other to see?

I think he’s Derek Reed!

Anyway, you both have valid points. Seriously, don’t expect an mfb from elektron. And really, three parameters right?!

Smile; you’re on troll tele!

I’m not sure the OT is “left hanging”

we are talking about a boutique shop, that just released several new pieces of hardware…focus was on getting those out the door and working nicely

the recent A4 update was very nice, I would hope at some point we get another OT update

there have been some bug fixes on the AR already…in addition, I would think that we would get nice updates like the A4 had down the road

I am in agreement with the OP that the HH machine is one of the weakest out of the bunch

however, I don’t find the 3 different snare machines weak

all that being said, I would probably rather see more LFOs than a new HH machine :slight_smile:

+1 for better hihat.
lacks highend power, crispness, brightness, versatility.

SN and HH are rather weak compared to other drumsynth. SN is better than in most drumsynths. (I have owned and tried almost every drumsynth). it doesnt get to my beloved 808 SN though.

analog HH is usually done better. my favorite HH has airbase.
overall I feel the other percussion instruments as RD, RM, CR, etc. lack some highend power/crispness too.

more machines:
we’ll see… of course I’d love to see that. very likely the analog hw inside is capable of much more. but adding digital control to analog circuits is very troublesome, will be exciting to see how much elektron has left in the pocket by now :slight_smile:

guess its more likely they add a EQ for every track.

apart from that I like the AR sounds a lot btw. very good low end.

1 Like

Absolutely. I won’t be using them traditionally. More reasons why I think the RYTM lends itself to experimentation over sonic storytelling.

plenty offensive actually replying to someones first post by saying hes stupid for asking for something more than 3 parameters

so they will add new machines?

will your rabid fanboism guarantee that?

i’ll eat crow but will you?

whos derek reed that you need to use that type board name in public for other to see?

[/quote]
I wasnt calling him stupid, i was stating that its stupid to assume they wont update the machine with more stuff. Elektron has never released a unit and not tended to it over a long period of time, i doubt they would start now. No fanboyism at all right there… pure fact. Elektron supports their machines with updates probably more frequently and for longer periods than any other manufacture i know of.

The OT has grown immensely since its release, and just because they havent updated it this year yet doesnt mean it wont happen. As stated here and elsewhere, they released a lot of powerful stuff this year and you can tell that they bit off a bit more than they can chew by the current customer relations and shipping issues. The AR has had new machines added already as well as small patches here and there. Plus keep in mind they are working on the overbridge, which im sure is huge undertaking for them. It is still a rather small company.

If they dont add more machines to the AR i will eat my AR … and fuck a crow.

I am Derek Reed… if you dont get it you dont get it.

Let’s love Derek reed!

if there are no new machines i would just sell it,

bestiality for the wrong reasons is confusing to the animal, they don’t know any better…

Now I’m hoping they don’t add more machines to the AR just to see this, although I think you should leave the bird alone.

lol

[quote="“poonti”"]

lol[/quote]
I know… loads of wtf but full of lol too.
Hey, it’s almost Canada D’Eh… bun fight!