Rytm MKII or Digitakt?

yes. DT doesnt have kits like the rytm so you’re SOL. You need to gainstage all your patterns to have consistent balance between each other. One of the reasons why I dont have a DT.

On the digitone, this isnt as much of a hassle as you only have four tracks instead of eight, but its annoying on the DN as well.

1 Like

The Rytm has “Kits”, which is a more traditional way to work with a drum machine. The Digitakt does not use this concept. So, on the Rytm you could make any parameter adjustment (including level) within a Kit, and then all patterns using that Kit will be affected.

Thanks guys!!
I will not kick out the DT but looks like i need to place an order for a Rytm mk2 :wink:
I think the kit methode will fit me better.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

2 Likes

Good evening! I am interested in digitakt or for analog rytm mk2 I have not worked elektron again. the learning curve is easy? I work with ableton. as a beginner in elektron what can I go and why? merry christmas happy holidays.

1 Like

DT is a far easier work flow and a great versitile unit. I would start there, and if you hit a creative ceiling think about introducing the ARmkii or moving to the OT…DT was my first Elektron device…

3 Likes

thanks adam. I will probably go for digitact I think that as a newcomer to electron it will be difficult for me to learn. thanks again.

Hello, I started with Digitakt 2 years ago as my first elektron device… And I stopped there I love so much this machine :slight_smile:

The top tier from Elektron looks far more complex than Digitakt.

Can’t go wrong with Digitakt, have fun !

2 Likes

Hey guys. Just wanted to elaborate on this topic years later.
I got Digitakt as I’ve mentioned and it’s a FANTASTIC machine. Absolutely incredible especially considering it’s footprint. You can only use Digitakt to produce everything, but it pairs fantastically with Eurorack setup to produce even better results. Here’s a video I’ve recorded with DT and some Eurorack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-ChiITXbo — it uses maybe a fraction of what Digitakt can do, that’s on me, so it can do simple things VERY SIMPLE. You don’t need to spend a lot of time to make it sound great and you can spend infinite number of time to make it sound otherwordly.

Given all that, I have to say I’ve purchased Rytm MK2 later down the road. It’s MUCH more expensive machine, it’s MUCH deeper, but it can still do simple things VERY QUICKLY. It INSTANTLY sounds incredible. It has analog drive and compressor chain, it has samples if that’s your thing, but it’s doesn’t have the depth of Digitakt (or especially Octatrack) when it comes to sample work. But if you really want thundering, flexible, really deep drum machine — nothing puts the Rytm MK2 to shame, not even Tempest (which is just exotic piece of hardware, so people are happy to live with it’s shortcomings).

Bottomline from me is: if you have the budget, get Rytm MK2 — it’s a machine you will never sell of put on the shelf. You can spend years exploring it’s infinite possibilities, but it will sound ungodly right out of the box. If you don’t want to spend so much money and still get Elektrons flow, explore fantastic sequencer and play around with samples making nice house, go for Digitakt. Either way, it’s a win/win for you. :slight_smile:

Here’s a quick cover I’ve recorded on Rytm MK2 + Eurorack a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkds0nCQAMc

Thanks.

5 Likes

how is the connection of analog rytm mk2 with overbrige? is it relatively easy?

Can you please reformulate your sentences going forward to not fake out heart flutters from me?

1 Like

I think it’s more extensive than Digitakt, cause you can record 12 chnnels + FX + INs separately. I don’t use it much though.

After years of using the DT as the centerpiece to my studio, I recently had the opportunity to borrow a grey AR mk2 from a friend, and I have the option to purchase it from him for a good price if I like it. I’ll probably keep my DT anyway (because I love it) but I might sell my old mpc to get the funds for the AR. I mainly make sample based hiphop, so sampling will be the main purpose, but I do like synth sounds. I dont need analog drum synthesis though, the update would be purely to get a more advanced DT.

I gotta say its a difficult choice. Here’s my thoughts so far (2 weeks of AR use):
-My main worry was the fact that the AR cant finetune samplestart, so chopping a sample would be harder using the samplestart p-locking method. This can actually be done pretty well on the AR, using the lfo, as you can use this to p-lock the startpoint with way more precision. The disadvantage is you lose the lfo for this track, but this is actually very workable.
-Even though the AR can do almost everything the DT does, the workflow on the DT is just perfect. Maybe its just the fact that i’m so used to it and still learning the AR, but everything on the DT is very very logical. I does what you need, nothing more, and does so in the way you expect it to work. The AR is not hard to learn, but everything just seems less logical in the way its set up.
-The AR can do a lot of things the DT can’t, some of which are awesome (songmode, parameter slides, different filter types, dual vco, more tracks, individual outs, kits). The AR feels like its a machine you can explore more, and gives you more options than the DT.
-Even though I like the sound of the DT, the AR does (subjectively) sound better if youre into a less hifi sound. I dont know if its the analog drive, compressor or filters, but the AR sounds more detailed, warm and deep. Its hard to describe but the DT is more glued together with a nice high end sparkle, and the AR more like a warm, detailed organic sound.
-The midi capabilities of the DT outshine those on the AR. The AR can send notes, but it feels like an add on, and works kind of illogically.
-Some minor things about the AR are irritating coming from a DT: the loading times are longer, the compressor misses any visual feedback like the one on the DT, and theres no mixer page, which I now know is actually really nice on the DT.

In summary: I’m still in doubt about buying the AR. The advantages are great, especially the sound, the extra tracks and the songmode, but there are also minor downsides compared to the DT.

7 Likes

I didn’t try the AR but for sample based hip hop I think it’s the wrong tool. I think AR is more a drummachine than DT (which actually is more a do-it-all machine).
If you loose in workflow just for a little gain of sound, maybe it’s not worth the extra cash. Maybe just a VST on the master of the DT can do the trick.
I think the OT with the new update (midi trig slices and trig+yes) coupled with a keystep or an mpd can be a better option for sample based hip hop than AR.

2 Likes

thank you for being informative. DT with digitone together may be a good choice ?

1 Like

I don’t own a Digitone, but I think it’s a great combo for any style you’re after. All videos I’ve seen sound great.

1 Like

Hello, I started with Digitakt, … 2 years ago, as my first elektron device :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with you that i’m ‘misusing’ the AR right now… but i’ll try for a while and see if I like the music that comes out. The thing is: even though I like the pads/options on the mpc, the fx on the sp404 etc, I can never fully dedicate myself to a sampler which doesn’t have the awesome elektron sequencer. The AR and OT seem like the only steps up from the digitakt.

The OT never really interested me as I understand the sound is meh and the workflow is a chore.

I hear its awesome, but the DT on its own is a fully capable synth as well… I would start out with just the DT.

1 Like

Thank you for your cooperation :slight_smile:

I had both, actually I had Digitakt first (wanted to have a companion for the OT), it was fun but I got bored with it eventually, then I bought Rytm (mk2), sold Digitakt, and also sold the OT… Rytm turned out to be the amazing machine I was looking for. Buy it if you can squeeze the money.

At the very least, you can think of it as a DT-esque sampler with analog filters. Of course it’s deeper than that.

Also, I find the AR workflow much more ‘logical’ than the DT. Of course it’s all down to personal tastes…

2 Likes