Rytm MKII or Digitakt?

Hey guys,

Right now I have a modest eurorack setup with 2 Mother-32 and a few small modules: current setup

For percussion I use a combination of DrumBrute and 2Box drum computer (I doubt anyone knows what it is, but it’s basically a multilayered sample machine with a bunch of separate outs which can be triggered by electronic drums) which plays samples via midi sequenced by DrumBrute. Recently I’ve started playing with a trip-hop band who use quite a few samples in their songs, so the workflow is: I set DrumBrute as sequencer, build a song via several patterns and upload samples to the 2Box to play them in the song. It works totally okay, but the workflow and preparation is kinda clunmsy and cumbersome. It’s 2 devices which are half-assed utilised.

So I started to consider maybe I should ditch both boxes and switch to a Digitakt or invest more money in the Rytm, cause I want separate outs for instruments and I still like having analog drums in the arsenal. Digitakt’s shortcomings are pretty apparent, but apart from price, are there other tradeoffs of going for Rytm MK2. Anything Digitakt can do what Rytm MKII can’t?

Maybe explaining my reasoning help. Let me first outline reasons I think I should ditch DrumBrute and 2box:

1. Apart from the sequencer, kicks and separate outputs, I can’t say I’m enjoying anything else on the DrumBrute. The rest of the sounds are not my cup of tea. That’s why I connected 2box and play sampled drums from there. Also, I quite enjoy either real drum sounds in my music or really something authechrish.
  2. I rarely use knobs on the DrumBrute, mostly work with sequencer only.
  3. 2box workflow is quite terrible
  4. It’s 2 boxes rather than one.

Here’s what I LOVE in current setup:

1. 2Box sounds AMAZEBALLS using the layered samples. Very realistic sounding drums.
  2. Sequencer on the DrumBrute is great and it communicates well with 2box and eurorack.
  3. I like the mute/solo thing on the DrumBrute

Now here’re reasons I’m looking into Digitakt:

1. I quite enjoy randomization on the DrumBrute, but I would love to have more control over it. I’m thrilled to have conditional triggering. I think it’s an amazing feature.
  2. I like to have 1 device rather than 2.
  3. I like the workflow on the Elektron devices. I don’t care TOO MUCH about analog circuitry, but for some reason, I’m very attached to analog stuff.
  4. I HAVE to use samples now, so I HAVE to have a machine with sampling capabilities.
  5. It’s quite inexpensive for the type of thing it does.

Rytm MK2:

1. Separate outputs for channels are fantastic. I use separate outputs on my current setup all the time for example to send a sample though eurorack filter or effect.
  2. I really like performance mode with triggering effects with the pads on the Rytm MK2.
  3. I think I would be happier with analog generators and compression, rather than without them.
  4. CV ins sound promising. I could use that with my eurorack.
  5. It’s fucking expensive, but I would buy it if it’s something I would be using for years.
  6. I’m concerned it’s an overkill for what I need.

Please, help me decide. Should I pay more for Rytm?

I forgot to add, that I really like Digitakt’s feature to control separate channels via MIDI. Basically, I can set up sequencer on the Digitact and control both of my Mother-32s from the Digitakt. That’s VERY convenient for performances. Can Rytm MKII do the same?

Thanks,
Nikita

1 Like

I don’t think the Rytm has MIDI sequencing capabilities. They really are two different machines, one being a real analog drum machine, the other being a sampler with midi sequencing capabilities. As you already own the Drumbrute, I would go for the Digitakt! (edit: and although the Rytm MKII does have sampling capabilities, it is not its strong area, I think, but I haven’t tested it).

I hate to play devil’s advocate, but I’ve seen (and quite enjoyed) your stuff on YT, and I personally feel you may be best served by the Octatrack. The live sampling/resampling is amazing. And the MKI can be had for around the price of the DT.

4 Likes

The RYTM can’t sequence external gear.

The only way is to use one of the RYTM’s audio outs and use either the Impulse Engine or Tick samples to trigger external modular gear. No MIDI sequencing ;o

3 Likes

why not get a used AR mk1 and a DT ? might be around the same expense ?

5 Likes

TBH, I’m planning to sell Drumbrute, cause I really like only three things in it:

1. Kick drums sound really great. This analog punch with compressor on top just sounds mesmerising.
  2. Sequencer is easy to use and quite convenient. I think it lacks sophistication, but it sends MIDI to my 2box which works fine for me.
  3. Separate drum outputs on both 2box and Drumbrute.

I don’t really use sampling a lot in my music, i only need them to play something weird, like street noises, some weird reversed stuff, etc. I don’t need any complicated stuff and apart from drum samples, I don’t see myself using sampling any other way. Sampling requires a lot of work, a lot of dedication and research. I usually tend to just come, turn the switch on everything and start composing on the fly. Finding a sound on the eurorack is time consuming enough. Sampling is the whole another world of pain. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the nice words! Thank you!

The reason I’m not looking into Octatrack is because proper sampling is the whole new world and I usually have very limited time for my music. I tend to just switch everything on and start turning knobs around as soon as I have a moment to step away from my computer. Also, sampling usually means more time with computer and that’s something I tend to avoid. I even ditched DAW completely for the same reason.

With Digitakt or Rytm I only look for a drum machine / groove box. I don’t see myself chopping samples for days before going into production. I only need samples to play something really simple, like street sounds, or some reversed synths on a few songs. I really don’t need any complicated sampling capabilities. The ability to trigger a wav file every first beat is enough. I’ll send it through my FX stack and it’s gonna be enough.

I understand, thank you. Have to consider if it’s critical for me or not.

Cause it’s 2 boxes rather than one. I would probably opt for convenience in this case, cause we’re talking about live performance.

Apart from the MIDI thing that you seem to need, it seems the Rytm MKII would better suit you, as it can handle some samples too. Note that the Analog Four MKII (and MKI I think) has CV sequencing capabilities that could drive your Mother-32s. But yeah that’s not simple.

A4 MKII: CV OUT + Some analog drums + great analog sounds
Rytm MKII: Some sampling, can send MIDI clock (but no sequencing), Great analog drums + some analog sounds
Digitakt: MIDI sequencing capabilities + Samples
Octatrack: Same same but different

As if Elektron wanted you to buy more than one machine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you for the breakdown. Exactly my thoughts.

As much as I love the Rytm, Digitakt’s ability to drive midi gear via sequencer is extremely useful for my live performances as we play already produced tracks. Hopefully, it will allow me to bypass the m-32 sequencer, which is not the greatest sequencer in the world if I’m honest. Do you know if Digitakt send proper gate length via midi?

1 Like

I have the Digitakt (and an A4 MKII). With it, you can send up to 4 notes per trig (with the latest firmware) and set up their lengths to be whatever you want from trig length to shorter or longer (up to 16 trigs length I think maybe more, I don’t have the machine under my eyes right now).

Edit: What I like with the M-32 sequencer is that, by sending CV to it (i.e. a LFO), you can make it play/pause or play at variable rates which is a lot of fun for polyrythms. You won’t be able to do that directly with MIDI (to my knowledge). But both are complementary: you can send the note via MIDI to one of the M-32 and let it transpose its integrated sequencer.

2 Likes

Does Digitakt support polyrhytms?

Yes. For each of the 8 sample tracks and the 8 MIDI tracks, you can define a lengths from 1 to 64 trigs (or steps). Meaning if you have a track of 3 steps length, and a track of 5 it will go:
T1: 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-…
T2: 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-…
(not super-well aligned but you get the idea)
:slight_smile:

1 Like

One things that goes unmentioned. The DT stores mutes per pattern. This is great, for me at least, when it comes to building a performance.

1 Like

I got it! Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ll start with Digitakt, cause I think for my current needs it’ll be totally enough. Any work on the Digitakt MKII? Is it a good moment to buy it?

That’s really helpful, I totally agree. Thanks!

Can you elaborate on the mutes per pattern? I’m not even sure I use that.

It’s a pretty recent machine, still very young software-wise. I don’t think a MKII is planned, it would be seen as a bad PR move as the first one is still lacking some promised functions. But nobody here is Elektron (but Elektron representatives, that will certainly give you no clues about that). I do think it’s still a good moment to buy it.

2 Likes