Rytm mkII Audio In

The inputs accept a +15 dBu signal which is way louder that regular line level (+4 dBu).
If you want to send audio from Ableton or a TB303 you’ll need some good amplification. I tried using a Eurorack input module (Befaco inAmp) to level the audio to modular level and it was perfect.
I think external inputs are perfect if you want to process one or several AR separate outputs (which are also +15 dBu) with an external effect and mix back the signal into the AR. You’ll need an effect that can accept such hot signals. I tried with an Audiothingies Doctor A, delay/reverb unit that accepts +19 dBu signals and it was again perfect.

2 Likes

Ahh is that so ? So sampling doesn’t work like it does on the digitakt. Shame that is… Don’t have an amp.

So… sorry I thought I was on another topic talking about the external ins (not the audio ins for sampling). I just retested and I have no issue of level sampling my phone.

1 Like

Might be some kind of fault?

I had a digitakt before the rytm and I don’t recall any major differences in levels when sampling.

And just to confirm you do mean the audio in (used for sampling) not the ext in (which goes through the compressor)? The ext in is very quiet.

And sorry for stating the obvious, but are you setting the source to audio in? And you’re not putting in a stereo signal on a TRS plug?

This is what customer support says:
“” The Analog Rytm MKII has balanced (mono) inputs. I can see that you’re using a stereo cable for connecting the stereo output of the TB-03 to the Analog Rytm MKII TRS balanced mono input. The left and right signal will then cancel each other out, resulting in almost no sound. Try panning TB-03 hard left and you should get sound. For better results, you should instead use a splitter cable that splits the stereo output to two mono jacks and connect these to the left and right inputs on the Analog Rytm MKII.

The Digitakt inputs are unbalanced (mono) so that’s why it works differently. Only the signal on the Tip is then transferred. It would in other words be better to use a splitter cable for the Digitakt as well if you intend to sample a stereo source."

But the Rytm didnt work when using a Mono to Stereo cable from my audio interface to the rytm neither…

Did you plug the mono end into the interface or the AR? What type of “mono to stereo” cable? Does your interface have balanced or unbalanced outputs?

1 Like

Have to check the TR / TRS cable thing. It went from my headphone out to the stereo in, so the cancelation argument goes. Could be the wrong cable tho… Thanks

1 Like

Not sure how familiar you are with the different types of cables and their functions, but just to be sure:

• Ts cables are used for unbalanced mono signals. They can go to and from mono inputs/outputs whether these are balanced or not.

• trs cables are used to transfer either balanced mono signals, or (unbalanced) stereo signals. A headphone out sends out stereo signals through a trs cable, while balanced output like the AR mains sends out two balanced mono signals (left and right) through 2 separate outputs.

What you can do:
-Send 2 balanced mono signals (or a stereo pair) into the 2 AR inputs with 2 trs cables.
-Send 2 unbalanced mono signals (or a stereo pair) into the 2 AR inputs with 2 ts cables
-send a stereo signal coming from a headphone output into the 2 AR inputs by using a trs to 2x ts splitter cable. The 2 ts cables go into the 2 AR inputs in this scenario.

What you cannot do:
-send a stereo signal coming from a headphone output into a single AR balanced TRS input. This will cancel out left/right as you stated before.
-send a stereo signal through 2 mono outputs (2x ts) into a single AR input using a trs to 2x ts splitter cable. This will also cancel out the signal because its a stereo signal going into a mono input.

Hope this helps you!

4 Likes

I don’t think its the cable, mine is much more quiet at both the individual outs and the Audio in…

Its workable though…

I recently started to send an individual out to a zoom B1 pedal for some extra fun. The level at the out put when at full (amp, mixer and sample volume) still doesn’t clip the pedal input. And i had to bring down all other tracks slightly in the mixer to hear the processed return sound at the audio in…

It works perfectly, but yes its quiet…

I can’t for example plug my Blofeld in directly and get the volume it needs to be heard without my lpb2 tube pre boosting the signal level…

I’ll try to see if I can get the audio in to work

Is this the only way to monitor the input in stereo?

Hey all just wondering if this is normal
I can send audio from my opz through a mixer to boost the signal into the ext in of the rytm but it doesn’t show on the audio capture input level only shows on the main level

Ok sorted it’s showing on the audio in…duh

1 Like

Ext input doesn’t go through a dac. You have to go into audio input to get it to the sampler.

1 Like

Weirdly I could sample from both ext in and audio in when changing the src to main - anyway it’s good now through the audio in all showing up nicely in audio capture
Cheers!!!

Yeah, the mains loop back into the sampler. That way you can compress, distort, and layer before sampling.
Ext in stays stereo for running gear through the stereo signal path though!
Cheers!

1 Like

That’s given me all sorts of cool ideas thank you

1 Like