Rytm mk2 or DT + A4 mk2

I read this thinking surely not! But you’re right. Not a single comparison video afaik. The sampling parts are very, very close, but I too would love to see a comparison such as taking the exact same set of samples and processing them on each machine to see how much ‘analog’ is imparted to the signal etc etc

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a surprise to me because when I YouTubed this, I thought I would have at least 3-5 results but nope… There’s not so much ARmk2 dedicated videos either to be honest (compared to DT/DN/OT). DT/ARmk2 seems indeed to have quite similar sampling functionality but even that, I’m not so sure. Seeing how the analog side changes the sample would be indeed a very interesting video!

2 Likes

Definitely. I’ve exhausted all of the AR Mk2 (and Mk1) videos on YT. Now I’m just left with the absolute dregs of shitty ‘jams’ that have had about 3 views in 5 years haha. Let’s hope an Elektronaut will read this and give us our fix! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Bo Beats done a fairly basic comparison in his review of ARMk2.

But as you say, it would be really nice to have a dedicated “here’s a sample played through one, now here it is on the other”

Here’s the time stamp for anyone who’s not seen it ( can’t imagine there’s many that would be interested in buying that haven’t watched this! :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Thanks for all the answers, I will sleep on it a few nights and see how I feel.
The money is obv an issue as I don’t earn money from music so it’s just a hobby and feels strange to spend so much on something that I don’t “NEED”. But it also seems like it could be the last drum machine I’d ever “need” (at least for a very long time) so it could be seen as an investment.

3 Likes

I didn’t see this one!
Unfortunately it’s a bit lightweight on the sampling/workflow comparison side (but the main review was about the ARmk2 so it’s understandable). And I think a few updates of the ARmk2 changed a few points he made! we need a full in-depth comparison with the latest firmware haha

1 Like

Haha yea every review complains about lack of sample/filter visualization etc which is now present;p and no reviews ive seen show the dual vco feature

2 Likes

I don’t really use the the sampling function, I only really load samples from transfer.
But I think it’s exactly the same as the digitakt…

2 Likes

Indeed (or almost, yes).
Sampling on AR is especially cool for resampling, IMO.
Something I used to do a lot on my SP404, and that is very cool if e.g. you want some heavy distorsion on some bass drums, while keeping the rest clean.

The dedicated Perf knob is also very convenient: it makes it possible to play with e.g. the delay feedback while tweaking some track parameters…

1 Like

If that’s so, that’s cool.
If they could make a ARmkIII with the form factor/encoders/knobs of the OT mkII (but in black) with the features of the mk2 that would be killer.

2 Likes

I honestly do prefer the bigger size they feel more substantial and less cramped…
but I can understand why people like the smaller size because of room etc…
and black is always good. but I’m pretty happy with the form factor of the analog mk2s tbh

2 Likes

I think the bigger size makes sense for the pads.
I didn’t like the pads on my mk1 (I had to be brutal for them to react so in the end I turned off the velocity…) and it seems mk2 is really better on that side.
I wonder if they could fit the mk2 pads within the mk1 form factor.

All in all, ARmk2 is a huge improvement over the mk1 and it is a great machine for sure but the built-in angle, the size and the color(it is shallow I know haha) are kinda killing it for me. But still, I’m watching vids on it to convince myself, it’s not the machine, it’s me who’s wrong haha

1 Like

If you don’t use Perf, scenes and it’s internal sounds why do you even own a Rytm?

Sounds like you’d be better off with a DT tbh

1 Like

Because I like the way the samples sounds through the filters - I also resample the same sample with several filters and lfo and i build all my library in this way

I asked for it and here it is:

omg

2 Likes

But no new Os or features…

Oh they kept the angle and the size… too bad. 1 out of my 3 wishes though haha

1 Like

Wtf haha! Maybe this is why the price went down in my local

I imagine there will be new OS in October (last update was October 2019). But don’t expect much super exciting.
I think they will likely just add trig preview, model:chance and maybe stereo USB audio (similar to the digi update from a few months back)

I think Joy, Happiness and Passion are considered Needs.

1 Like