Rytm Mk2 Individual Outs - Balanced?

@finalform Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Is it common among drum machines for outputs to be mono?

1 Like

Yea most times you’re doing your stereo processing in the mix or on the board. Most drums are mono on the outs. Also in a club environment (remember those ? :joy:) you generally get better results with mono anyway.

1 Like

Another use for a splitter cable on an individual out is if you use a DJ mixer that has only stereo ins. In this case you need to send the mono signal to both “sides”, otherwise you hear it only on one side.

And: it took me a while to understand the difference between splitter cables and insert cables.

The important fact here is that the audio path up until the FX section within most drum machines is mono.

In the Rytm, for example, the analog voices are mono, it can also just play mono samples and the FX section is shared by all tracks.

Unless you have own effects per track to generate separate stereo images it doesn’t even make any sense to have stereo outs for the individual tracks.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Very informative. I think i’ve settled on routing BD and LT to their own out, and everything else to the mains, and just record three lanes.

1 Like

Im confused as well - and I guess the simple answer Im looking for is whether I need to buy 8 TRS or 8 TS cables.