Rytm MK2 EXT IN - Please help me figure it out

Once for all. So not the audio in for sampling only, but rather, how can I, in a simplest way, connect mono synth to one of the EXT IN inputs and have it play? I know it is placed after effects and before compressor, but I wanted to know - Do I have to change track setting somehow for it to play external audio in , or is it playing it regardless? Do I have to tweak sound/track routing? I really find it frustrating that there is no level or balance for the external in. Mind you I am NOT using overbridge, so the scenario is just the AR and a synth.

1 Like

Afaik it’s like on the Mk1, no level control, no panning, no nothing. Gainstaging has to be done before the input. Just plug the cable in and you can hear the audio.

2 Likes

Also - you will hear it mono in one channel, it won’t get „doubled”

1 Like

mono synth goes into EXT IN L and it will be played through main outs as stereo, there’s no way to control whatsoever of the input level except from the source, if your mono synth has low output you better get something external to boost the signal.
another option is to gain stage the whole kit to match the incoming audio and use the compressor to boost both equally with the MUP param, I love this option as it saturates everything but it’s noisy, if you’re looking for cleaner sound you’d have to boost your external signal somehow, maybe a mixer, a di box, whatever…

2 Likes

Not to confuse things here, but you can use the Audio In too, it’s not ‘just’ for sampling.
You can bring external sources in that way if you set the Monitoring to On.

There’s also more gain on the Audio In input than there is on the Ext In input.

3 Likes

Thanks! And if I do so, I use it as input on a particular track right? say cowbell track, I would use audio in and set monitoring on. But that means I could also use entire signal path, no? Effects and all.

No, you just use sample/record section and keep the monitor live there.

The only way to get that audio into actual tracks (like the cowbell slot) is to record it in and assign the audio file to that track.

You’re also limited by the amount of recording time available in the Rytm… but, it does serve as a great audio processor when you bring your recordings in, you can access the filters, overdrive, fx, etc… I do this a lot just to resample audio.

(Off topic slightly, but for reference- what you described with bringing the audio into the CB track, that is how the Octatrack ‘Thru’ tracks work.)

1 Like

Yeah cheers, this would then be classic sampling, if i wanna use the circuitry and fx. Gotcha, ty.