Rytm + MIDI controller

Well, that’s explains it.

But it still don’t make sense to send it in intervals. Just sending it at pattern changes will fulfill the job and won’t spam the MIDI connection with unnecessary CCs.

Besides developing my own micro-controller based solution that can run libanalogrytm and crunch the sysex I thought of this work-around for a situation where I’d like to have track levels controlled remotely:

Given the multiple gain staging points in the AR I could tweak the kits so that they are all saved with track level say at 50% or 70%. So when I change to a new kit I know that’s where all the faders should be. The MX12 controller has a mute button that lets you move controls without outputting MIDI so I could move the faders into place without jumps.

Not very pretty but could work. Obviously doesn’t work for many more parameters than levels. Performances would work too as they’d all be at 0 when loading a kit.

Argh, thanks for this topic, I started setting up my PC12 to work with the DT + DN + pedals with 16 channels and using my Midihub to switch to another 12 channels for the OT + A4. I tried the MIDI loopback to get value feedback but couldn’t make it work until I found this post, quite frustrating… I figured that using the Mute for sending MIDI would have to be the way but it will suck to snap back all the values manually when needed.

Have you found any solution?

I haven t made any practical steps here. Actually i haven t done any music in over 2 months :frowning: but just starting again this weekend. At the moment i m more focussed on production than live performance (still don t see any parties popping up anytime soon…) and i might gravitate towards a simpler controller setup which just has 12 pots for the 12 performance macros.

I’ve now been playing a bit with my old Behringer BCR2000 controller and AR2. Worked out how to get parameter feedback to the encoders working without upsetting the rest of my MIDI setup. I’m sure the Faderfox PC12 can do something similar.

AR2 is set to send MIDI transport, clock and encoder CC’s. BCR2000 is set in stand-alone mode S-4.

AR2 is master MIDI clock of the setup. No other MIDI (CC) is required between devices. MIDI out from AR2 goes to MIDI in of BCR2000.

The BCR2000 has 2 MIDI out ports. OUT B is configured as a simple THRU to pass AR2 MIDI sync to the other devices in the setup. AR2 CC’s are also passed so other devices must be configured to not receive them.

OUT A goes to AR2 MIDI in.

I have configured 24 of the BCR2000 encoders to CC’s of the 12 track levels and 12 performances. If I first twiddle one of these parameters on the AR2 the encoder on the BCR2000 will reflect the correct value and make no jump when I now move it there. If I don’t do this and twiddle the BCR first there will be a jump if the value didn’t match the AR2.

Not perfect but better than no sync at all. Need to play with this longer to find out whether this works well for me. For sure I wouldn’t like to bring the BCR for live sets as it’s so damn big…

2 Likes