Rytm high noise floor defect ( compressor? )

Also one thing I forgot you can check, check that the sounds on your tracks do not have a decay value of INF, IIRC it has been mentioned that this also helps to cut back on noise…

2 Likes

If you want virtually no noise check these three things:

1) turn off the compressor(MIX knob all the way left). Its not very good anyway(decent for live use, for the studio, not so much).

2) turn down global distortion(doesn’t have to be all the way down)

3) make sure the AMP decay param for each part is not at 100% INF

I record the AR all the time with a very high end setup. This is how you eliminate virtually all the noise from the unit. Of course I use the global distortion between 10 and 20 though. I cant live without it. :smiley:

1 Like

Might not only be the Comp, the Amp Decay (when set to infinite, 127) as well. See also
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/rytm-recording-quality-issue/10185/82713

1 Like

Ok cool i will try that too.
What about turning down the gain of the external inputs? Anyone try this, or is it even possible?.. I understand that if they are not connected it’s probably just like an open circuit, but there is probably some gain buffer still amplifying a very high impedance.

For readings of this thread, other mistake i was making is going into the Front Hi-z inputs of my Apollo.
Should be going balanced with TRS cable to the back of the unit. Sounds really great now actually.

2 Likes

#Unwanted #Noise #DiagnosticProcess #FearingTheWorst
I just got a used Mackie SR24/4 mixer and hooked up three synths (one of them an Elektron Analog Four) and the Elektron Analog Rytm drum computer to four of the 24 channels. Then I noticed that the drum computer always produced horrific levels of noise when it wasn’t playing… none of the other devices did this. I feared it was the mixer so I switched the drum computer to different channels and no matter which channel it was on the horrific noise was there.

Damn I sure hope it is the cable and not the drum computer. After swapping cables the worst fear became evident… even with a different cable from the Elektron Analog 4 synth that didn’t make noise for the synth the noise was epic horrifying. Not looking good… so I put the TRS audio signal from the Elektron Analog Rytm drum computer through a ART T8 Isolation Transformer and the noise was somehow filtered into an even more horrific buzzing… ahhh…

Oh nooooeees the worst case was looming large that the source of the horrific noise is the Elektron Analog Rytm that I paid an arm and leg for even with it on sale… googling for this problem didn’t help either… as others reported it… on this Elektronauts thread {Rytm high noise floor defect ( compressor? )}. I tried the various setting suggestions on the thread but none made any difference.

Damn I thought. Ok still in diagnostic testing mode, that I learned to do the very hard way with low level assembly language software systems, I conjectured that maybe the noise was coming from the Elektron supplied power brick or a ground loop (that was what the ART T8 was supposed to solve) or maybe a noisy power bar that computers are also plugged into.

I swapped the two power bricks for the two Elektron units (both have the model of same brick and power needs)… and lo and behold the noise went away!!!

Much to my surprise both units where noise free! What the heck? You’d think that if the power brick used by the Elektron Analog Rytm unit was noisy that it would also create noise for the Elektron Analog Four synthesizer… but the evidence was no noise. Ok, that is weird and unexpected. Good but unexpected.

Putting the power bricks back to the units that they came from originally I fully expected the noise to reappear on the Elektron Analog Rytm… nope… noise free. This is great news as none of the gear, none of the audio cables, not the mixer, not the drum computer itself, not the power bar, not the power brick, etc… was the problem… it was a loose power connection.

The current working hypothesis based upon the above diagnostic process of elimination is that the noise was coming from the power plug being loose where it plugged into the Elektron Analog Rytm drum computer.

#phew

Now a first thing to check when I hear noise from the Elektron and other music units is that their power is fully plugged in and seated well.

Not all sources of noise will be this straight forward to find and fix. The main thing is to not panic and to be methodical in the process of elimination by isolating each system or by trying variations of the connections to find out where the noise is coming from. Sometimes it really is an easy fix.

#yay #success

{Update, 20151014, turns out the unit had a defect and was returned with a replacement ordered #yay #success for real }.

1 Like

Another possible solution:

Check your decays on the amp page :innocent:

My problem was a very high noise, like an 8k sine or so. I did not notice that sound, because it was to high for my ears - but my wife and a friend of mine were asking me what that terrible high squeaking noise comes from.
After hours of checking comp, routings, fx, switching/changing cables and so on i figured out it was just one track.
When i turned the volume from this track down, that horrible sound disappeared.
So i checked each parameter on each page until i got to the decay… yep… was at max.
I did not realize that it was set to max - normally nobody would do that :joy:

1 Like

Quick question, don’t want to start a new thread because of it. I use the individual outs of the RYTM, which I’m fine with. Might want to hook up the RYTM as an outboard compressor.

The question I have is, is the noise floor less when using balanced cables? Or does this hardly effect this “issue”?

Anybody have experience with this?

1 Like

that won’t affect/address the “issue” - but if you had ridiculously long unbalanced cables you may create separate noise issues

1 Like

OK. thanks (Y)

1 Like