RYTM gets MIDI = Digitakt?

is there any point in keeping the digitakt in a set up now that the RYTM sequences external gear?

yes, the digitakt can sequence on dedicated midi tracks with own midi channels and also send cc messages.
also digitakt can sample, rytm mk1 can not…

be aware: the rytm can only sequence midi on the normal tracks. this means for example: if you have a trig for the internal sound engine, this trig (all trigs of that track, or none) can also send midi note number, note length and velocity out. nothing else! also no cc messages on rytm…

1 Like

i dont follow, lets talk mk2

In what ways can i use the digitakt now that I cant on the RYTM (specifically re: external gear)?

Digitakt can control cc on external midi with dedicated page, rytm can only send note. You have to sacrifice inside audio engine on rytm to control external digitakt has 8 dedicated midi tracks… surely other things, but those are the most obvious for me

2 Likes

can you give an example where the rytm is limited vs the digitakt?

if i just want to trigger my external kick module/drum machines via the rytm sequencer?

Digitakt is designed with controlling external midi as a feature, where as the rytm can send note on and off only which also takes up a track. Rytm can send or receive din24 and 48 for sync which is useful…

I’d say, if controlling external devices if your goal then you can’t really do better than the digitakt outside of a dedicated sequencer like pyramid or something.

1 Like

You can use midi from the rytm to sync all your drum modules , and if you wanted to you send basic sequence midi. Your digitakt has 8 separate dedicated pages for proper midi sequencing, so imo better if we’re comparing the too.

I dont mind giving up a track ie replace kick track with my external mick module. i still dont see what the digitakt adds to the set up if ive got the rytm

You absolutely can do that with your rytm, but not sure why?

Do you not like the kick on the rytm? maybe look into some synthesis tips and come up with a kick you like, You could sample your drum module and run it through analog filters and fx on the rytm…

Digitakt adds 8 individual midi tracks, which the rytm does not have.

im trying to understand the capabilities of rytm vs digitakt re: MIDI

i got the digitakt to be the heart of my live set & all external gear, trying to see if i can just replace it with the rytm

Well, like I’ve pointed out, the digitakt is designed to control external gear and be the heart of your set up. The rytm can do a ton of stuff, but it’s not designed to sequence external gear. It can do sync, and send basic midi. It depends on what you’re trying to control in your set up…I’d say do a bit more reading on midi and what you’re going to need to sequence your setup…are you using external synths?

At this point we have explained the differences.

• 8 midi tracks separate from sample tracks
  • Send CCs
  • Chords

These are things the DT can do that the AR cannot do.

Those are the differences. I am sure there are more but if those don’t mean anything to you then go with the AR and sell the DT?

I’d keep both and use the DT as a monosynth/extra sample player/MIDI controller but it doesn’t sound like you are controlling much MIDI.

Good luck with your decision.

3 Likes

Did you know what is cc,? For example, take a filter cutoff sweep on you external synth. You can do it by hand by turning the knob on the synth interface. Or you can utomate in in a sequencer: filter cuttoff on your synth has a cc number. By telling on the digitakt on which midi track is your synth, and telling the digitakt which is the cc number of the cutoff, ( you found it on the midi chart of ethe synth manual) you can automate a filter sweep on this synth, giving you freehand to do other thing’ and make better alive sequences. With the rytm you cant send those cc control, so you will never be able to automate it, which is a bummer. Midi on the rytm is more like an little extra than a complete seq. Digitakt for this purpose is a better choice.
On a other hand, digitakt miss a lot of thing rytm has: song mode, and peattern kit structure. But if you search on the forum its already explained. Good luck and good choice.if your lost on all this, my advice is to start with a second hand digtakt, it has better midi spec and simpler overall, would be a good start, no interest to complicate things if you dont understand whatis written up

1 Like

all my external gear are drum machines so I dont need CCs much as I can make any changes directly on the machines themselves. I wanted an option to sequence my gear with the rytm live and not sample them. looks like the rytm can handle what i need it to do

1 Like

Even drum machine can use cc.’ For example, varying decay of drum hit… What are them for instance.?Anyway you seem decided so go??

then whats the point of rytm’s MIDI?

…good luck…

4 Likes

It’s been explained pretty definitively, the rytm is not a midi sequencer, it has a sequencer that can send note on and off. I think you need to re read the manuals and read up on what midi is and how it works in the context of these machines.

from AR’s manual:

MIDI program change messages 0-127 will select pattern 1-128 (A01 - H16) on the Analog Rytm. Additionally,
MIDI CC and NRPN messages can be sent to control various aspects of the Analog Rytm. See “APPENDIX
C: MIDI” on page 77 for a complete specification.

So yes it’s possible to send several CCs, with some limitations.

and more: The LFO depth is a high-resolution parameter, with CC LSB value

1 Like