Rytm DAW Workflow question

Hi,

I am close to pulling the trigger on a Rytm mk2 but have a couple of questions about how people are using Rytm with a daw as their sequencer. My preferred workflow is to mess around using a synths sequencer without the daw, then go to Reaper when I have something I like, print the midi info of the sequences I came up with and tweak from there using Reaper as my sequencer.

Would the Rytm work well like this? I know a lot of the magic in Elektron boxes is in their sequencer but I am not sure how well they work when triggered by a daw. Experiences from those of you here who work this way would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I just bought a Rytm mk2, I found very fun using it with its own sequencer, less fun using triggered by a DAW

Maybe it is just me

I guess you ask about sequencing all the parameters of the Rytm by a DAW rather than synchronizing an Elektron sequencer to a DAW.

AFAIK almost all parameters of Elektron devices can be controlled by external gear. Doing this inside a DAW would only require to setup lanes for all parameters, which shall be used and modulated in a sequence. Technically there might only be a tiny problem of latency, but this can be compensated. Practically I would say that it’s much faster or a more efficient workflow to use all the parameters on the Elektron box directly to get the same result.

How we do it in praxis might strongly depend on the use case. Typically for my work is to generate a beat on the Elektron directly and then to record (multi-track) the audio with my DAW. From there I use the audio only … and continue with arrangement, mixing etc.

2 Likes

Thanks. This is good perspective.

I’ve had and loved both an Analog Keys and an Octatrack at various points but ended up selling them because I had a hard time using them in my work but I loved jamming on them.

Use the instrument’s sequencer. Record to audio. Commit.

5 Likes

Great thing about Overbridge is that Rytm can act like a vst … an analogue vst

If you want to use it as a sound module just send it midi

1 Like

By default Track 1 on the AR receives on channel 1 to Track 12 which receives on ch 12. The currently selectd Track (by [Track] + Pad ]) is on Ch 14 by default.

All the channel specific configs can be altered in the global menu -> Midi Config -> Channels.
There in the [Midi Config] you can setup in [Port Config] if the AR receives on USB Midi or both.

Then go to the manual, APPENDIX C: MIDI. Here you find the Control Change Numbers each function is addressed to. F.i. send on Midi Ch. 3, CC 16 to change Synth Parameter 1 . By default Midi-Channel 3 is assigned to Track 3 of the AR which is the RimShot-Track. Depending on the selected Synth-Machine (e.g. Dual VCO, Bd) the parameters can differ. The first one is almost every time tune - so in this example you trigger the “tune” .

If you follow this example be aware that Syn can be disabled in the [Trig] menu or ot the synth maschine is completely disabled.

If you send send on Midi Ch. 14, CC 16 than you alter the Synth tune of the currently selected track for instance.

1 Like

That’s how I work. For me the best element of Elektron stuff is using the internal sequencer and taking advantage of p locks and conditional trigs. I see the sequencer as being an essential part of the instrument and something to ‘play’. I might record several passes with different trig settings etc into the daw then I can choose which loops to use where.

2 Likes

This is probably the way to do it. I love working with my Moog Sub37 so much. The VST editor works all the time. It’s super simple to leave projects and come back to them, poof all my automation and midi data is there with the right preset. I do scoring work so it’s less about me committing than whoever’s project I am working on. Unrelated, thanks for your videos!!! I’ve found them helpful over the years.

1 Like

Is this reliable for you? When I had an analog keys, the vst editor kind of worked but mostly wasted my time. I would love for it to be 100% because that is exactly how I’d like to use the Rytm.

This

I would go so far as to say the instrument screams to be used this way. It wants it. It told me. I swear.

1 Like