RYTM Compressor Threshold - Confused

Experimented earlier today - by ear, with threshold fully up, wet gain seems to correspond to dry gain when MUP is set to about 9 o’clock.

1 Like

im not quite sure why the elektron boxes are so cryptic in this department. The analog nature of the machine also dictates that you can push the signal at any point in the signal chain, so the compressor is not the only place where one can add distortion or add reduce gain. The compressor being the place where I have the largest amount of confusion in gain staging this machine. especially because there no gain reduction meter. will forever be a confusing part of this workflow for me at least.

1 Like

Yeah labelling controls with dB values would already help but the lack of gain reduction visual feedback makes for the biggest challenge. I already begged Elektron to add it on the MD years ago. Surely there s a technical reason why it was taken out of the AR mk2 but it s a shame. I find it real hard to dial in something useful.

2 Likes

Anyone knows the reason why the mk2 lacks the gain reduction meter but the mk1 has it? Seems so weird.

1 Like

@varm_kall I didn’t know the Mk1 had a meter? Since when? Are we talking about the same thing, about something like the Digitakt has, with its bar going up and down to show how much the compressor is affecting the gain?

Maybe I’m misstaken but reading old threads and people talk about the seeing the meter pumping.

I’d be curious to know, but I think your remembering incorrect (unfortunately)

MK1 Rytm Compressor has a gain reduction meter. Always has. It’s a single vertical line. Just search the forum for the appropriate terms.

1 Like

I stand correct then.

edit: haha, seem I used the expression wrong- but I guess it kinda works the way I misspelled it.

2 Likes

Been digging into my rytm compressor tonight and this had me puzzled for a bit, no obvious compression yet quite a lot of gain reduction. I think you’re right though, somewhere between 8 and 9 is unity I reckon.

MUP must be set to negative gain by default. Just turn it up until the volume roughly matches the uncompressed signal. Then it should behave like any other compressor.

1 Like