Rytm broken—>Digitakt?

Hello!

So,as i posted 2 days ago, my brand new Rytm mk II just freezed to eternity and i had to send it back to store.

I used it mostly for the sampler part since i wanted all mydrumachine in one hardware box.

I really liked the build,the look of the machine,reverb but i didn’t feel it worthed 1500 euros,i didn’t use the analog engine that much.

So i’ll maybe plunge for the Digitakt but i have a few questions:

-Are they more reliable than the Rytms?with the problems i had with my rytm,i started to realize quite a lot of people where questioning reliabilty on the Rytm.
-When i wanted to factory reset the rytm,i realized backuping my samples was quite complex,not straightforward: manual copy of the .wav,sysex …
Is it the same on the Digitakt?
-I enjoyed the velocity pad on the Rytm that the Digitakt doesn’t have. Is there a way that Digitakt could simulate it? With sample chaining for example? Different volume samples …

The separate outputs on the Rytm are great but i could live without it.
And also i saw some great soundpack on the rytm there is not on the DT like the chiptune one.But maybe it will come?

Voilà!Advices appreciated!

Lio

Octatrack :smiley:
There you can connect to the computer and see all of it like a hard disc.
On the Digitone it’s not that easy in my opinion.
On the Octatrack you can consolidate your project (copy all of used files into the project directory) for easier back up.
But - no velocity pads - you could hook up a pad midi controller for that :wink:
Or you can plock velo, why not.

Get a replacement Rytm, no problem with my one…
you were just unlucky… they are great machines

2 Likes

Ok,

@gerkinear I’ll have a check on Octatrack!..what i like on the Digitakt is the simplicity of it!
@DanJamesAUS yeah,i really hesitate but the backuping is really a down for me so…i don’t know yet:)

If you like the simplicity, than maybe the digitakt could be your buddy, that’s true.

Octatrack is a bit complicated to set up, that’s true if you compare it to simpler boxes.
But after a few you are getting into it - it’s rewarding.
But then, you have something that does exactly what you want and is simple to use while performing. The scenes are godsend.

But don’t rely on me, I love my octatrack so that’s not fair.

I have the DT as the main and only instrument. I make all the beats and melodies on it and it’s very powerfull.
You can set velocity on each trigger, and maybe you can buy an Akai MPD226 to get have 16 MPC pads to play on DT. The velocity from pads are recorded thru midi, so you can make some cool beats.
My DT is very reliable, never frozen, no bug.
You can use Elektron Transfert to save samples on HD, and upload samples on the machine, it’s a bit slow but take your time to a coffee break.
No separate output, and many sample pack for OT and AR work on DT if it’s just WAV files. There is just no premade drum kit, you have to create them yourself.
For me DT is the best Elektron machine, it’s sound as good as what you feed inside and it’s much more simpler than the big boxes. A good instrument is a simple instrument, then you can grind it to a deep knowledge and drive it where you want.

Thanx Blaise,

That’s true for the packs,didn’t think about it…but regarding the backup,it remains time consuming to re import all the .wav to project manually in the machine in case you have to credo it…

I love really simple instrument too so…

CC pads,i found the ones on the Rytm,way too " hard" means that you really have to crush them to make a steady sound:)
I remember it was the same on the akaii LPD8 i had once…

You have 1Gb hard drive in the DT, so you can load a lot of samples. If you feel limited by 1Gb, think more of what sample you want in the DT, and carefully select samples before upload them. Sometime 2 kick are very similar, and you can just have both by tuning some knobs.
About the pads, the MPD226 have MPC Live-like pads (very cool) and output midi so you don’t need usb-midi converter. You have also 4 pads bank to assign beats, melodies, both or whatever, and 3 control bank to tune every parameter from the DT (tuning 2 params in same time that are not on the same page are cool :slight_smile: )

did you enjoyed scenes/performances, kits, LFO and p-locking on FX track, Dual VCO engine?
this features are really unique and specific.
also rytm add color to samples, made them harsh and noisy, digitakt sound is clean, is this an advantage for you?

1 Like

Thanx Blaise! I will check those pads…
@stankeev : i realize i don’t need that much features and probably go for the Digitakt…

IIRC OTs audio tracks don’t respond to velocity from an external controller.
It’s also not mentioned in the manual.

I never really tried it, but since audio tracks don’t have a velocity parameter and also no velocity to volume setting you’d have to use a midi processor to map velocity to amp volume midi cc.
Though I guess you’ll just get used to p-locking amp volume :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes, you are right! :wink:

1 Like