Rytm as a groovebox?

No worries, happy to help.

Indeed the 101 is probably my favourite synth, Robert Hood normally rocks it pretty hard, but Sleeparchive and Regis are :ok_hand:

Iā€™ll sort out some 101 raw waveform files to use in the Rytm soon, as it make it sound pretty nice, although the internal DUAL VCO is pretty good.

1 Like

That sounds like something i havent thought about! Could you elaborate?

send individual out to CV in and set the CV control to Expression mode, then hit Learn and youā€™ll have a modulation you can send up to 4 tracks and their params

1 Like

Does that work on the mk1 too?

I donā€™t think it works on mk1 as afaik there are no CV ins on mk1, but canā€™t confirm as I only have mk2

2 Likes

Yeah totally, itā€™s something that slipped by many of us it seems.

I tried it once but couldnā€™t figure out that I need to switch to Expression mode, I didnā€™t think that it mattered so it didnā€™t work obviously on CV, once Iā€™ve seen your video it occurred to me that you need to switch to Expression for it to work. Itā€™s really something Elektron maybe can add to the docs as a tip, itā€™s such an expressive modulation, very cool

1 Like

Literally just came here to say thisā€¦

:rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah totally agree, itā€™s a few hoops that arenā€™t immediately obvious. I think also itā€™s not something you typically think of to plug a machine into itself, unless youā€™ve done it before and even then itā€™s not immediately obvious.

Elektron has so many people starting out with these perhaps as their first hardware, so itā€™s good to share the learning. As is seemingly the case, selling the product is the focus and presumably the end point for manufacturers, but itā€™s very much the starting point for everyone else. Not a criticism of Elektron or anyone.

It reminds me a little of computer games, you get the thing and now to try and work it out and get the platinum :joy::trophy:

1 Like

actually I thought about it as soon as I got the rytm because I knew the midi feedback from the digitone, so looping elektron into itself is the first thing came to my mind :smiley:

1 Like

Nice, thats it, if you have the previous experience itā€™s an easier leap for sure.

I used to do audio feedback on the Nord G1 and Lucia does mixer feedback, the midi feedback came to me when looking through the midi menus, which are pretty amazing, hoping to do arpeggios.

I vaguely remember the Digitone has some work around for chords or something? I donā€™t have one.

DN has scales and chords built in after the latest song mode update so you donā€™t need to work hard for that, what you can use the midi loopback for is adding midi tracks with lfos as additional trigs/modulation to itself, you can also use the midi lfos to control macros of ModWheel/Aftertouch/BreatController for the tracks or FX parameters, DN does not have FX track so using midi channels you can sort of add FX track with the sequencer and everything. very cool stuff for experimentation, and unlike the AR the midi tracks on DN are very flexible and you have 4 of them totally independent, all you need is a short midi cable OUT > IN and thatā€™s it.

2 Likes