RYTM and squarp pyramid

Hello All
I have acquired the squarp pyramid and it plays the rytm through the transport send etc. However I can’t seem to be able sequence it from the pyramid, has anyone else had this problem and resolved it.

Thanks

The Rytm is most likely receiving individual track / sound MIDI messages on channels 1-12, but you can also sequence all sounds from one channel.

First off, if you don’t want the Pyramid to start sequences on the Rytm, you need to turn that off on one of the devices (or both, but only one is needed if you just using the two devices).

On the Rytm, go to MIDI Config > Sync and turn off Transport Recieve.

On the Pyramid, go to Settings > MIDI Out and turn off MIDI STRT/STOP for the MIDI port you’re using (A or B).

Now on the Pyramid go to Track, hold down the Channel button (D# key) and set the channel to 1. Go to Live mode and you should find the Pyramid keyboard is sequencing the bass drum chromatically (useful if you want to sequence a melody).

Now hit the < key to transpose down as far as you can (brightest setting on the button). The Pyramid keyboard should now be triggering each Rytm sound sequentially - C is kick, C# is snare, and so on.

This should work for any MIDI channel, provided you’re on the lowest octave. I’ve seen advice in the past to use the auto channel (14) for this, but I’m not sure how that factors in.

To step sequence the Rytm from the Pyramid this way, go into Step mode and set the note with the main encoder, activate the steps for that note, and move on to the next note. The notes you want are C1 - B1.

That should work for single-channel sequencing, but you can also use the multi-channel mode to have a sequence per sound, which is good for making use of the Pyramid’s various features. You can mix these approaches, so for example have a dedicated kick track on channel 1 and use channel 2 at the lowest octave to sequence everything else.

Hopefully that all makes sense and works, but post if not and we can try to diagnose.

1 Like