Rubberization dying on Analog Four MKII buttons

All the buttons on my grey A4 MKII are getting kinda sticky and gross. I’ve removed rubberization before, but I worry that if I do it on these buttons there won’t be text left afterwards. I’m curious if anyone here has tried this before?

Similar problems with other Elektron encoders and buttons:

3 Likes

Thanks! My search-fu was failing me

1 Like

You may ask Elektron for a replacement set…

1 Like

My grey mk2 had all sorts of issues so I went back to mk1 - can’t afford new mk2 now but if I win the lottery or sell an unused bit of gear then maybe…

the only machines I’ve ever had issues with were 2 second hand A4 mk2 grey’s (one recently, one a couple of years ago). had to send them both back. just bad luck.

I’m back on mk1 now cause they’re such good value. I actually prefer the old buttons (in use, not visually). they have nice resistance, action is smooth n no sticky.

1 Like

I’ll probably ask elektron for a new set! I liked the form factor and buttons of the MKI, but the enhancements of the MKII make it essential for my setup.

EDIT: I may first try removing the rubberization myself, it seems like its possible to remove it without removing the paint.

I recently purchased a used A4 and, the previous owner had put a coating on the buttons.

“In order to prevent the button surface from decay, an acrylic coating has been applied to the button caps. This gives the surface of the button caps a solid feel, more like a regular computer keyboard button, instead of the slightly soft and silky feel of the original. Personally, I prefer this button surface over the original.”

I messaged him to ask what he applied. I’ll report back.

3 Likes

I think I saw that advert on reverb😄

@pidgeo You probably did, that’s where I purchased it.

The seller sent me this link where he documented his process for coating the buttons.

1 Like

nice, tbh reading that in the ad turned me right off. I was like eh this dude just butchered his A4 :joy:
but in his process there he seems like a nice guy, n it looks pretty good.

[edit: ah, he’s an elektronaut too] :slight_smile:

I was put off by it at first too. But, it was the best price on Reverb and I decided to roll the dice.

Seller is great, the A4 is in excellent condition and the coating on the buttons is well done. As advertised the buttons do have a computer keyboard feel with more “grip” to them. It might actually be an upgrade, functionally.

1 Like

nice. and I ended up going with an mk2 apparently in mint condition. there was something very wrong with it internally, buttons barely worked. and very strange all the button caps were dry and crispy like it had lived in outside or something :see_no_evil: