Sticky Buttons (the surface, not the action)

Tried a few searches and couldnt find an exact match for the problem I’m having. I’m not talking about the common problem where some buttons are misaligned and snag/stick on the nearby surfaces, causing the buttons to remain depressed. My problem is that the surface of my digitakt and digitone buttons has accrued a thin film of stickiness. It’s minor, but a little annoying. I’d like to clean them using something like Goo-Gone but am worried I may damage things.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and how’d you fix it?

My Arturia minibrute had an even worse version of this problem where every knob, which has a soft-touch coating, became extremely sticky after several years. Many other owners reported the same problem and said the best fix was simply to replace all the knobs. I did that and a few years later, those replacement knobs have also gotten sticky.

The Elektron problem isnt nearly as bad but i would like to get the buttons feeling the way they used to, nice and clean and smooth.

Thanks!

Bump… buttons still feel gross.

Alright you are better at searching than I am. Thanks!!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s the use of alcohol as a cleaner that is wrecking the rubber finish. Just use a dry microfiber cloth on your new buttons.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue and I used warm soapy water and a sponge. Popping the buttons off and scrubbing them gently did the trick, just don’t go at it too hard or the paint will come off. There might well be better suggestions in the above topics, good luck!

1 Like

Ok. I want don’t want what happened to my DT and DN to happen to my Syntakt. I got a Decksaver. Is it a good idea to keep a little desiccant packet in there to keep the buttons and knobs dry, or could this mess something up? Anyone else do this?

2 Likes

I have just discovered the issue by getting an used octatrack, even though its been kept under a deck saver. The faceplate screws are a little rusty as well, so it could be humidity that causes the keys to degrade as well…
The dessicant gel might be a good call and I’ll probably do the same thing for my new syntakt !
I would change the packet every now and then to prevent any aging issue regarding the gel.

Edit: I have also emailed elektron about it, I’ll wait and see what they advise.

Some enterprising person with a 3D printer and high quality plastic could make a business out of supply decent non-coated keys for the Digis and Mk2s.

1 Like

Awesome idea! Can’t believe I haven’t thought of this.

I live in an extremely high-humidity city during the summer (which drops to 0% humidity once my 1880s steam heating system kicks on in winter), so plastic/rubber breakdown is a real beast here.

Great idea. I’d buy.

1 Like

My 3D printer buddy would be able to help, all I’d need is the dimensions. :smiley:

haha. shrug. i think someone would have to rebuild every button in solidworks or a 3d modeling program. Get the right button LxWxH, corner radius, the little bevel on top… and then re-creating all the exact text and graphics would be a task. Do 3d printers / STL files have a good way of doing double shot (clear inside for light to pass thru + opaque outside)?

2 Likes

The alcohol makes it worse yes but they will get sticky regardless. The coating is called “soft touch”… every single thing I’ve owned that has this coating gets nasty after a while regardless of how well I look after it. This is a widely known issue with soft touch and I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many companies use it. Elektron’s older plain plastic buttons were WAY better, longer wearing and easy to clean. If someone made this style of button for the newer devices I’d buy them in a second.

2 Likes

if you you want to get rid of the soft paint , wich went gooey
i found a simple and effective solution

just pull off the button of the device,
put a piece of cotton cloth like an old t-shirt on you knee
and rubb the button fast and with a certain kind of pressure on that cotton

only the frictional heat will make the soft pain become very soft and loose
and it will stick to the cotton
do that on the top first and then the 4 sides
maybe wipe again with a fresh cotton cloth

this removes the ugly sticky stuff fast and completely
without damaging the black base coat