RP2040 microcontroller : including RPI Pico

Looks like a cheap way to build a USB midi host, among lots of other things.

2 Likes

you want one of these elk.audio

What would be the process for adding midi or audio to one of these boards?

@Anfim midi via the UART or USB, I guess audio would need a shield/hat for high quality.

bit short on ADC (4) imo… but depends on application.
I guess it will be interesting to see what the Arduino connect will be like (also based on the rp2040)

@echothief its not really comparable to elk, this is a microcontroller, so going up against the various arduinos, teensy esp32… - rather different applications (=use cases) than elk.

@anfim audio, could be done very lo-fi, but has spi/i2c so that could interface to codec

1 Like

4?

2 Ă— SPI, 2 Ă— I2C, 2 Ă— UART, 3 Ă— 12-bit ADC, 16 Ă— controllable PWM channels

Wow that’s cheap! And not bad at 133MHz. Could do some nice midi stuff with that.

yeah, I read this… and thought it was 3 but somewhere else I read that 4 pins could be used for analog input… so I gave it the benefit of the doubt (*)
3 or 4 is a bit short for my needs usually :slight_smile:

(*) Im not sure if that was completely wrong, or if there was another pin that was perhaps dual use… if I was to use for a project id go double check… I guess for now assume 3.

fyi: https://www.reviewgeek.com/68286/raspberry-pis-new-4-pico-is-an-arduino-like-microcontroller/

interesting, its talking of the RP2040… perhaps pico exposed only 3… or perhaps this is just wrong.

1 Like

I believe the rp2040 has 4x adcs; the pico board exposes 3

https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/rp2040/rp2040_datasheet.pdf\

indeed p11, shows RP2040 has 4 ADC

interesting, the pico is the only rp2040 board with 3adc,
the other manufactures are all going to have 4

btw: perhaps might be good to rename topic to include other rp2040 variants something like “RP2040 microcontroller : including RPI Pico” ?

Done :wink:

1 Like

I guess the 4. ADC on the RPI Pico is used for the onboard temperature sensor mentioned here. It’s nevertheless a strange strange decision to even put one onboard and don’t let users decide …

1 Like