Routing ideas SSL BIG SIX + Octatrack

Hello!

I have SSL BIG SIX. Analog Rytm mk2, Analog Four mk2, UDO Super 6, Buchla Easel are routed into it. OTO BAM and BIM on mixer sends/returns. Analog Heat +fx on mixer master insert. A few more effects in the patch bay.
Now I want to add Octatrack to this setup. I want to use it as a sampler, looper and effector.
It’s very interesting to hear your routing ideas for this setup.

1 Like

Maybe put the OTO boxes in series on one send, then the Oktatrack on the other, and bring it back on its own full stereo track, with its own eq. Send stuff to it from any other instrument

1 Like

Interesting option, thanks! But I would like to save two send/return for effects.

If you don’t want to sacrifice a Stereo Cue, you can use Bus B Out to send to one of the Octatrack inputs. Whenever you mute a track it gets sent to Bus B then.
If you then take your 2 track from the monitor output (instead of main), you can add the Bus B into the monitor mix to still hear it in the mix if you want.
There will be a small audible click when you mute / unmute a track though

1 Like

With that many different inputs/fx/possible signal paths, I don’t think there’s one ‘right’ way of setting everything up, so I’d guess finding a signal path to fit your style is going to win out.

I’d maybe try using the bus b or cue routing to take signal out to the OT, then back in on a stereo channel that only routes to the main bus. That way you can use the mute/bus b switch to punch tracks into the OT. The same could work with the cue outs too if sacrificing the mute switches is problematic…

That SSL desk opens up lot of creative ‘good problems’ to figure out, I’m very envious!

1 Like

Ha great minds

1 Like

Thanks!

I probably gave my use case, but I will provide it here, in dedicated thread.

My first setup with BiG SiX had Octatrack embedded in it. If one read manual, it can be seen that all inserts are always sending, which means that button labeled “insert” only switches what feeds further path. And with that, one could put OT as main insert. With “insert” off, OT still listens to main, and with “insert” on, main will pick up signal from OT. So it’s like one button patch bay for my setup. This gives me master effects, with looper and what not, like for EZBOT’s templates.

That’s my take on the topic.

1 Like

I also thought about this option. But I don’t like that the sound of Big Six will be colored by the sound of octatrack.

Unfortunately, with all the flexibility of BiG SiX, with only two stereo AUXes, usually used for delay and reverb, we have to compromise somewhere. Which I am sure you are familiar with. Beside, I don’t find OT to be that much of colour changer, unless someone wants it to be, but… I must confess, I’m not famous for my hearing (or for anything else, if I think about it :thinking:).

It’s not Zaehl AM1, with all its stereo AUXes, unfortunately. :expressionless:

1 Like