Rough encoder on syntakt

Quick update that my Syntakt is repaired and soooo much better! It’s surprising that 1 encoder could make such a big difference :slight_smile:

Regarding the feel vs the DT and DN, they feel the same to me and I really like them.

3 Likes

This is so strange, I sent the unit back to Thomann and got this response”

”Our studio department have checked your Elektron Syntakt. They informed me that a exchange will have the the same issue.”

I don’t get it? So any exchange unit will have a rough F-encoder? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think they are trying to say that the encoders will likely have some inconsistencies between themselves and it is likely that a replacement unit will have at least one encoder that feels different than the rest.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess you are right. But people are saying theirs are alright, but perhaps it’s a common issue…

1 Like

It could be common and it could also be that different people are more/less aware of the difference between the knobs.

On my three Digi boxes, none of the knobs have exactly the same resistance, but they all feel smooth.

Mind you, I had to specifically look for them after reading this post to notice the differences so at least to me it was not something that stuck out.

Could be the case. I have 3 other Elektrons and have had 3 more in circulation. There can be very minor differences but this was something else. It was even audible.

1 Like

Ended up returning my Syntakt because it had some issues, and rough encoders were among those. Specifically the A and E encoders felt pretty rough. Hopefully it’s only these early units having this problem. I really like the instrument and I want to keep one, but maybe I’ll just have to wait for a year until all the kinks are ironed out to buy one because I’d feel like an ass if I kept buying and returning them until I find one that doesn’t have issues.

1 Like

@aortan Indeed that doesn’t sound good. It’s like there is no lubricant in it…

I understand.
Yeah I love the instrument to death. Even have a track going so I’m not willing to wait :sweat_smile:

It was a b-stock, could be why the store is unwilling to send a replacement.

Funny you say that, because I too bought my Syntakt as a B-Stock (return) from Thomann.
But to me B-Stock means “slight traces of use”, not “faulty hardware on a fabrication level”.
They said they would take a look at my Syntakt, but that was like 2 weeks ago and I haven’t received another response from them. Instead they just gave me back my money. There’s another B-Stock Syntakt up for sale on Thomann right now. I wonder if it’s my returned unit. :joy:

Haha really! Yeah it seems like we should watch out for those B-stocks! :sweat_smile:

Just got mine second hand and it is the same way. Not much I can really do about it.

I had the same issue on my B Encoder, just sent it to repair in LA, hopefully doesn’t take too long. Though I had to pay for shipping there, which I find pretty strange considering it’s still under warranty and I’ve only had it for barely over a month.

1 Like

Luckily my encoders are all perfectly smooth and silent, too bad they’re misaligned but… :man_shrugging:

I came back here to just say, there is no more gritty kind of sand resistance, they feel smooth when turning now.

Only thing that there still is there wobbly, wiggly knobs, that stand out from the rest. I’ve kinda learned to live with it, but still…

2 Likes

Deleting the delete

1 Like

Dieter told it. Delete.

1 Like

Over time, use the encoder enough and over time will notice the gritty feeling go away.

Dieter says delete.

Contact Electron, they will sort it out for you