Rotary DJ mixers with synths?

Anything sounds amazing through that, rotary mixers are all about quality components (except the one i have)

1 Like

Have you seen these?

1 Like

yeah that was the first one I saw that made me start looking into all the rotary mixersā€¦ the price is beyond me for sure on those ones. I think realistically of the boutique rotary mixers the mastersounds one is the highest price I might go and in many ways it seems to be the exact tools I want in a mixer currently, no more no less.

thats true I do like the look of that unitā€¦ would I have trouble sending it line levels from my regular synths? I only really have proper experience with semi modular stuff and to push volume through there filters at good levels on some of my gear I find myself using the dude mixer to push some extra volume. the WMD performance mixer also looked quite cool in the euro format but it doesnt have EQ. My far back original plan was to get an ER-301 from orthogonal devices and hardware knobs to control it, Iā€™ve heard of people using it as a final stage mixer so maybe I am back to the ER-301ā€¦ it has the advantage of being a total laboratory of sound for multipurpose fun and as a mixer I could live with the 4 inputs.

For that price you can buy the SSL SiX. Has balanced IO and loads of routing options as well as built in compsā€¦also sounds amazing.

1 Like

I got to DJ at a friends place who had that RANE MP2015 rather recently. It sounds really really nice, and feels great. I had no idea that it cost THAT much but if you can afford it, it is worth it. IMO

I would look into getting an Allen heath xone mixer rotary conversion

1 Like

welp I ended up picking up the Mastersounds Radius, despite the cost it felt the the perfect solution my current passion of pairing devices and for live play and I figured I could resell it if it didnā€™t live up to what I wanted from it. It really does sound great and it is pretty easy to pick out parts of a song that I never really even noticed before. The mix of highpass and master EQ allows for some interesting playā€¦ you can focus the highs on one input and boost the bass on the other with the master EQ. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for though, a great sounding mixer with fast controls to not take too much time away from my digitakt and pro2 but add that extra little edge of sound tweaking to make all the different parts shine.

heres a little test video I made. Audio is direct into the phone mic from the phones port which is probably not ideal but its just a little test.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve found DJ mixers to actually pair really nicely with a performance setup. I have a Xone 96 and an Analog Rytm 2 as the core of my setup, and then a rotating collection of synths and several eurorack cases. RCA doesnā€™t bother me, none of my cable runs are long enough for balanced/unbalanced to really be an issue.

If the Radius isnā€™t to your liking and you can stretch your budget a little more (why not, youā€™re already looking at boutique rotaries :wink: ) take a look at the Model:1.

Can vouch for MODEL1.
The drive function acts as a magical master :slight_smile:
Compression without compressor.
Headroom is HUGE.
3 aux sends if using D-Sub.
Furthermore D-Sub allows to have permanent 6 stereo pairs coming from my MOTU leaving 6 RCA pairs to input anything :slight_smile:
6 channels works good for me.
And yes it makes a difference: going from my Mackie VLZ 1402 to MODEL1, I can hear it although my ears suffer from many years drumming in bandsā€¦

PS: MicroFreak missing in the pic.

4 Likes

Wow, model1 :money_mouth_face: :stuck_out_tongue: :yum:

Definitely worth the investment.
Having many synths is nice.
Having a DECENT mixer is even more important.
My way of looking at things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m pretty blown away by the radius 2 so far, I might be looking to the Model 1 if I feel I need more. Hard not to be happy with it.

2 Likes

and maye some WMD MSCLā€™s or a HXNVRTR MUTANT GLUE for beefing it up a little :slight_smile:

Or just slap a master compressor on the outputs of your mixer. :wink: If you have a master FX insert loop like the Xone 96, thatā€™s the perfect place to put an Analog Heat or RNLA.

1 Like

Regarding the 6 stereo pairs from MOTU.

What cable are you using or this?

Does MOTU have D-sub for a D_SUB to D-sub cable?

Or are you using jacks out MOTU to Dsub on Model1 ?

Like the look of Model1 but I went for Xone96 due to the soundcard built in and ease of setup as I play hybrid traktor and hardware.

But if it was just one D-sub to Dsub then its a pretty simple setup and I may be tempted in the future :wink:

This :slight_smile:

There are 3 D-Sub adapters on MODEL1 and they cover all I/Os on the mixer.

I am also using a hybrid setup (Traktor/Digitakt/Synths/Maschine) but with DT synced to Traktor I do not see any use of Maschine apart as a FX send/return for MODEL1.

I had a DB4 before but had to return it due to faulty drivers. Well known issue with this mixer.
I tend to not trust built in soundcards in gear like mixers.

1 Like

Cheers.

Ive never had any probs with mixers and drivers.

Had few Rane mixers and 2 allen n heaths in my time. Always been fine

At the time the issue was in the hex code of the driver.
A&H were aware and never got it fixed. I managed to replicate the issues and this is the reason why they agreed to have the DB4 returned.
Couple of months later they fixed it!!! And made the DB4 ā€œTraktor compatibleā€. The only thing I miss from this mixer is the routings and effectsā€¦ Oh boy the effects on that thing: I was tempted, for a while, to re-buy it second hand just for thatā€¦
Got the MODEL1 straight afterā€¦ Not looking back :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you like the radius then for the model 1 price you could add an ssl fusion and insert compressor and have pretty much a mastering chain. Thatā€™s what I did with my R4V. Fantastic.

2 Likes

Yeah I could see at some point going down that road, honestly with just the 2 machine set up (one of them almost always being a digitakt) I have access to the internal master compressor, and then one uncompressed synth doesnā€™t really feel to untamely with just the options found on the mixer. More instruments and I start wanting some compression pretty quick. We will see but Iā€™m quite happy for now.

2 Likes