Room Acoustics Treatment

sure!

and you need a mic, what do you already have?

this is what I used: https://www.thomann.de/de/sonarworks_xref_20_mic.htm

I don’t have any Mic,will I need it ?perfect timing cause i am planning an order from thomann actually :stuck_out_tongue:

I strongly recommend it :wink:

but you will need an audio interface with phantom power, do you have one?

acoustic treatment is like a scientific experiment:

1. measure your room from your listening position
  2. check results
  3. change something
  4. repeat

this is the only way you can really see what you have to do and what your treatment did

you can use a free software like REW and a condenser mic to measure your room:
https://www.roomeqwizard.com

a special measurement mic like that from sonarworks is great cause it is calibrated.

or you can buy a general condenser mic that is also great to record instruments, percussions etc for creating samples like one of this:

Sonarworks works wonders but does limit you to the sweetspot.

If you go diy, then I’d go for something like this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-kind-bass-trap-do-need

1 Like

I dropped two unopened packs of rockwool sono in corners of my room as a quick fix till i get around to do some proper treatment. Helps damping the low end.

A general condenser Mic sounds like a good adittion as well so I 'll go with that.My audio interface rme 802 so yes phantom power can be switched on.Can u give me some details on how to do the measurement of the room ?except width length should i measure things like the distance between the speakers and the wall(they are on stands behind the desk)How exactly should I plan this?Will post pictures as well on top of that

I think the fact that my room is whole wooden and not concrete makes things really worse and a temporary solution like this wouldn’t make much.I m assuming of course

How does using a mic help with acoustic treatment?

Still learning how to treat a room & never heard this. Peaked my interest

I checked out the mic & it looks different but only kbow a little german so hard to read about it

1 Like

this is a complicated topic but I try to focus on the things that are most important in my opinion:

1. Find your ideal listening spot and speaker placement
  2. Create a RFZ “reflection free zone”
  3. Put as much bass traps in the corners as you can

For step one please post a plan of your room. Size, wight, hight. Where are the windows and doors?

basically you look for symmetry from the side walls and 33%-38% distance from the front wall.

the distance between you and the speakers and between the speakers should be even, building an equilateral triangle.

the distance from the speakers to the wall should be not more than 0,80 m in your case. here is a screenshot from the neumann kh 120 a manual.

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/Neumann_KH_120_GSQ_540493_0914.pdf/$File/Neumann_KH_120_GSQ_540493_0914.pdf

you need a mic to measure the acoustic properties of your room so you know exactly where the problems are instead of guessing them. also you need to measure the room acoustics after doing some treatment so you can see if and how it helped and what to do next.

this is what you can get with a measure, it’s called a waterfall diagram and you can see exactly which frequencies are emphasised and how long it takes them to drop -60dB. it’s my room before any treatment. You can see e.g. that I had a really bad spike around 120 Hz and my reverberation time is over 1 second what is really bad.

this is my room after optimising my listening spot and creating a reflection free zone with absorbers on the wall and ceiling. reverberation time is here around 0,3 seconds. no bass traps yet.

3 Likes

Just got the meter.About the Neumanns I thought it said that the distance should be more than 0,8 from the wall maybe I misunderstood it.I notice that if I am more far from the speakers the bass travels better I can hear things that I couldn’t.Probably I should remove the couch and the things for books from the back to make the place bigger ?this the area that the most reverberation is coming

The place is very small I can’t get more panoramic pictures

Okay so first things first.Correct the distance of speakers from the wall thendistance between me and the speakers and between the speakers to be equal

it looks like your listening position is exactly in the middle of the room, this is probably the worst place to sit. I would get closer to the front wall so you sit around 1/3 of the room length.

find the spot that is exactly in the middle from left and right and 38% from the front wall. put a marker on the floor. this is how you start.

now you can measure with the mic and play around with speaker positions and find a good sweet spot. it is always a trade-off of some kind.

the measurement is pretty easy and takes only 1 min once you get the software. I recommend to save every measurement and give it a clear name so you can compare later.

post some results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it says avoid a distance from 0,8 to 2m. I have the same speakers btw.

if you want to save space you can think about putting the speakers directly to the wall and put some bass trap absorbers directly behind them. they should be 10cm thick at least. some people do this with great results.

1 Like

Thank you very much for giving me a strong starting point.I also think that any kind of furniture should be removed It would make the reverberation a bit less plus I could have the space to try this all the way around for example the desk at the window maybe.Anyway there is much to be done

no problem at all. it is great that you have enough space for some huge bass traps in the corners behind the desk. this can help a lot!

ask me when you are at this point…

1 Like

just noticed that your monitors are not decoupled, this is also something where you can get a more direct sound easy if you put some ISO Pads under the speakers or better IsoAcoustics ISO-155.

I would have to go to a desk placement with these things right ?