Roland TR-8S

LOL!

So true. Get over it. Make music.

1 Like

And I bet even for him itā€˜s all about the user interface and not so much about the sound. He merges with the machine during performances, it would probably take him so much time to adapt to a different layout that at his salary itā€˜s cheaper to keep using real 909s.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that in perhaps 20 years time there might be a respected artist performing live with the TR-8s in a similar manner, and all the cool kids will be dissing the then newly launched TR-8008 because it doesnā€™t capture the vintage ACB vibe of the TR-8s, the artist in question will be Son of Dave, from Clacton. :rofl:

2 Likes

Miles Cosmo is an Aussie Elektron guy. This is him on Soundcloud:

His YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLp4sk-IO789FBbZKctXb2g

2 Likes

I would have been nice if they included an USB port for Aira link and an extra chanel for that, so you could add any boutique and have your groove machine.

3 Likes

If any of the trigger outs work like the sync jacks on the POs, Volcas, etc. then Iā€™d be fine with just syncing other sequencers to this thing.

The now-older TR-8 didnā€™t have trigger out, so we can only hope the new trigger outs sync properly.

Hmmm. Definitely not that guy. But this thing would be cooler if you could actually sample in to it.

I like opening Ableton and sampling straight away in my hardware sampler. I can audition different sounds while my beat plays.

With the 8s, Iā€™ll need to export samples to a folder, save to a card, eject, inject, and then import. Hopefully easier said than done. It is Roland though. Theyā€™re weird sometimes. Curious.

1 Like

Liking the look aff this drum machineā€¦on my wants list for sure.:star_struck:

One thing to consider is that Roland trigger outs tend to be in the 12v - 14v range, so attenuation will be required to sync to pocket operators as their maximum sync input voltage is 5v, a higher trig voltage might work but eventually do damage, might do damage right away, or might saturate the input and cause it to not sync and do damage, whatever not a good idea without attenuation.

I just measured the trig out pulses of my tr-08 confirmed 12v, tr-606 14v.

Thanks for that info, very useful. Had my eye on tr8s trig to DFAM clock but thatā€™s 5V, and for some reason I canā€™t be arsed to get an attenuator.

Preordered it here too, Iā€™ve not had anything by Roland since the Juno 60

I suppose the people calling this a Rytm killer donā€™t:

*P-lock deeper FX parameters other than send level
*Use performance and or scene macros
*Use slide trigs
*Use conditional trigs
*Apply swing amount to unique trigs
*Prefer FX returns output on a 9th and 10th TRS jack
*Use a fully customizable LFO per voice
*Layer synth and sample tracks often
*Rely on envelope parameters other than decay
*Appreciate chromatic mode for melodies and bass lines.
*Need the DIN sync functionalities

Yea, Rytm does cost more but you get a whole mess of deeper functionality for the $.

8 Likes

You could have just said ā€œthinkā€ :rofl:

1 Like

I searched this topic, and I canā€™t find anyone calling it a ā€œRytm killerā€.

Except for you, that is.

2 Likes

Not talking about this forum.
Check Muffs or GSā€¦ FBā€¦

Reading the TR8S manual nowā€¦ it also has a few tricks of its own: random pattern generator, pattern variations, per instrument multi-fx, recording a variation while another one is playing, alternate sounds, auto fill-in, note nudge (including midi clock transmit), total recall on sd, etc.

Not a killer, different set of toolsā€¦ appealing nonetheless, even without the massive price gap.

TR-8S_Reference_eng01_W.pdf (3.4 MB)

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but why not complain there instead of posting flame bait here, maybe? Or of you want to do a full-on comparison, why not create a thread for that, like was done for the Digitakt?

Re-reading this thread, I can only conclude that the overall consensus here is that both boxes look lik great tools that are optimized for different usage scenarios.

3 Likes

Flame bait? How is my post a complaint and not a theoretical observation?

Wow.

I felt like I was adding to the discussion, following guidelines, etc.

I apologize if I offended you.

Iā€™m a big fan of AR, but sometimes all I want is a good sounding x0x-esque beat quickly and without much effort. TR-8s will deliver just that. AR has a lot of sonic possibilities, but it takes some time and dedication to get there.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not at all offended, I just donā€™t feel like yet another Muffs/GS/FB-like ā€œmy drum machine is bigger than yoursā€ thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like